Thread: Positive blood clot test, had blood thinner injection, scan tomorrow. Petrified

Positive blood clot test, had blood thinner injection, scan tomorrow. Petrified

So today I am living one of my worst fears. One of my biggest fears with my health anxiety I have is getting a blood clot along with things like cancer.

So I started taking birth control again recently and was petrified in doing so because all of my agoraphobia, panic attacks and anxiety are perpetuated mainly by my health anxiety so I fear being ill and taking medication for fear of side effects etc.

I am in my mid 20s

After taking the pill for a few weeks I started getting breathless and had chest pains but put that down to me doing it to myself through anxiety, I suddenly got leg pain in one leg in the lower calf area and a weird pulling sensation in my leg when I moved it also hurt to touch but I had no swelling, I automatically freaked out and thought... I'm going to die from a blood clot.

I saw the dr today and they didn't think I was at risk but wanted to do a d dimer blood clot test due to me being on the pill and for peace of mind. I got a call tonight saying it was positive and I needed to come in asap for a blood thinning injection. (Apparently a d dimer can be positive and you may not have a blood clot as other things can cause a positive result) I was shocked as I thought it been doing it all to myself, I started to completely freak out. I have had my injection and am having scans tomorrow morning in hospital to check if it's definitely a clot, if it is I'll need thinning meds for 6 months!!

I'm petrified Im going to die in my sleep tonight. I've stopped taking my pill and won't be able to take it again even if it turns out its not a clot as I have completely freaked myself out about taking it now.

Has anyone had a positive d dimer and not actually had a clot?
    Last edited by Eevie; 08-12-17 at 20:08.

Re: Positive blood clot test, had blood thinner injection, scan tomorrow. Petrified

Oh gosh I'm so sorry to hear this. I don't have any blood clot experience, but I just wanted to say I'm thinking of you. At least, if it is a clot, you'll start treatment straight away and will be absolutely fine. And there are other forms of contraceptive you can use. If your doctor had thought there was any risk of you dying in the interim, he wouldn't have let you go... that would put his job on the line! And remember it may not even be a clot.

It's bad enough to be diagnosed with something, but when you have health anxiety and it's your worst fear... well, that a whole other ball game.

Best of luck tomorrow.

Re: Positive blood clot test, had blood thinner injection, scan tomorrow. Petrified

---------- Post added at 19:37 ---------- Previous post was at 19:35 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by O_O View Post
    Oh gosh I'm so sorry to hear this. I don't have any blood clot experience, but I just wanted to say I'm thinking of you. At least, if it is a clot, you'll start treatment straight away and will be absolutely fine. And there are other forms of contraceptive you can use. If your doctor had thought there was any risk of you dying in the interim, he wouldn't have let you go... that would put his job on the line! And remember it may not even be a clot.

It's bad enough to be diagnosed with something, but when you have health anxiety and it's your worst fear... well, that a whole other ball game.

Best of luck tomorrow.

Thank you so much for your reply @O_O

I have worked so hard to try to get through my agoraphobia and anxiety as I was completely housebound for over 8 years and started going out over the last year... but since taking the pill again my anxiety has just gone mad and is affecting me going out!! I know I will have to try other contraception after all of this. If i know a medication has certain risks it always freaks me out.

I am hoping my scan comes back negative and I can calm down! I am so scared to sleep tonight... but you're right if they thought I was in immediate danger they would have sent me for the scan tonight not in the morning!

Thank you again xx

That's such rotten luck that just as you're getting back on your feet something like this happens.

I very much hope that there's no blood clot found, but even if there is you'll just have your treatment and be totally fine. It must be very scary though. At least you only have to wait until tomorrow. I hope you'll let us know how you get on x

This happened to me...chest pains (well, in my lungs in my back) with each deep breath and elevated d-dimer. I was rushed for a CT, and I did not have a clot. I read a little about this, of course, and d-dimer isn't inherently reliable for predicting clots.

Take a deep breath and take solace in the fact that you are doing everything you need to do- getting it checked- and it could very well turn out like mine did!

Big hugs EEvie xx Good luck and theres lots of other contraception out there so don't wright them all off as being harmful xx

Any updates?

Hello everyone thank you so much for your support and messages!

I had the ultrasound scan in the leg that's been hurting and no clot was found (I am incredibly relieved but all of you fellow health anxiety sufferers know all of the what if questions that follow... what if they missed something etc)

My health anxiety has been through the roof which is so frustrating as I was completely housebound for over 8 years and worked so hard to start going out again... now my anxiety has gone mad and I am struggling to leave the house again.

The lady I spoke to at the hospital told me at my age it is very unusual to get an elevated d dimer with no clot, it suggests infection or inflammation. So that has freaked me out, she wants me to repeat the test to see if it was a false positive next week and if it's elevated again we will talk through tests options.

My legs are very painful now and I am getting chest pains but that could be doing it to myself through anxiety!

Hi Eevie

Sorry to hear about your difficult time, especially as you have had such a tough time with Agrophobia already/. hugs (())

I am going through a HA episode with the fear of DVT after scuba diving. How did your repeat test work out?

Rooty

Thread Information