Thread: My Illness

My Illness

Admins, I apologise if this is in the wrong area, didn't know where to put it. Please move it to the appropriate section if you wish, thanks.

Anyway, there's some people who seemingly "don't get me" so for their benefit and for you nice peeps to understand me better, let me introduce you to BPD:

Borderline personality disorder (BPD) is defined within the fields of psychiatry, social work, and clinical psychology as a mental condition characterized primarily by emotional dysregulation, extreme "black and white" thinking, or "splitting" (believing that something is one of only two possible things, and ignoring any possible "in-betweens"), and chaotic relationships. It is described by mental health professionals as a serious mental illness characterized by pervasive instability in mood, interpersonal relationships, self-image, identity, and behavior, as well as a disturbance in the individual's sense of self. In extreme cases, this disturbance in the sense of self can lead to periods of dissociation.

The disturbances suffered by those with borderline personality disorder have a wide-ranging and pervasive negative impact on many or all of the psychosocial facets of life, including employability and relationships in work, home, and social settings.

The latest version of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV-TR), the widely-used American Psychiatric Association guide for clinicians seeking to diagnose mental illnesss, defines Borderline Personality Disorder ("B.P.D." or BPD) as: "a pervasive pattern of instability of interpersonal relationships, self-image and affects, as well as marked impulsivity, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts."[1] BPD is classed on "Axis II", as an underlying pervasive or personality condition, rather than "Axis I" for more circumscribed mental disorders. A DSM diagnosis of BPD requires any five out of nine listed criteria to be present for a significant period of time. There are thus 256 different combinations of symptoms that could result in a diagnosis, of which 136 have been found in practice in one study.[2] The criteria are:

(cont):

Re: My Illness

1. Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment. [Not including suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in Criterion 5]
    2. A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation.
    3. Identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self.
    4. Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., spending, promiscuous sex, eating disorders, substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating). [Again, not including suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in Criterion 5]
    5. Recurrent suicidal gestures, threats, or self-mutilating behavior.
    6. Affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days)
    7. Chronic feelings of emptiness.
    8. Inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights).
    9. Transient, stress-related paranoid ideation or severe dissociative symptoms.

Thankyou for reading, I appreciate it.

Take Care

Gordon x
    Last edited by Gordon; 24-06-07 at 17:39. Reason: wanted to highlight no 8 in bold

Hi Gordon
    Hope you are feeling good good today???

Excellent explanation of BPD my partner had asked me what BPD was and tried to explain but you know how it is trying to explain things especially for me (you must have typers cramp now!!! lol)

We all luvs ya anyway matey, try and keep ya chin up

Maybe cya in chat ron?

Brightest Blessings
    Mystics

Blimey Gordon

That sounds complicated!!!

Well done you for coping so well

Luv and hugs

Kaz x x x

HEY GORDON,SORRY TO SEE YOU SO DOWN THIS EVENING I WAS ONLY THERE BRIEFLY THEN YA LEFT SO I DONT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED,ALLS I KNOW IS I WISH YOU THE BEST GORDEN AND TAKE CARE OF YASELF HERES A BIG HUG (((((((((((((((((((((GORDEN)))))))))))))))))))))))
    LINDA XX

Thankyou All XXXX

Despite the occasional problem, I still like it here XXXXXXXXX

Gordon

Thread Information