Thread: Is it possible to not associate music with anxiety?

Is it possible to not associate music with anxiety?

I recently got into some new music. Unfortunately I’m listening to it to cope with health anxiety. I don’t want my favorite music to remind me of my health worries.

Re: Is it possible to not associate music with anxiety?

It's a bit like listening to old favourite tracks. It reminds you of certain places, people, weather etc. When I play them years later, it's as if I'm transported back but it almost spoils the initial experience as it will never be the same.
    As far as associations are concerned, I guess a lot of what we do to deal with anxiety will later be associated with such time in the future. But treat it as therapy. You won't HAVE to listen to the same tracks when you feel better. Good luck

A long time I go I was in hospital with a serious illness (this isn't the forum to describe such things)... and once I was recovering and out of the woods I was bored stiff in there and had nothing to entertain me but a Discman (remember those?) and about 10 CDs.

I can honestly say some of them are still some of my favourite albums - they got me through a bad time, but I don't associate them with the the bad memories at all.

Quote Originally Posted by axolotl View Post
    A long time I go I was in hospital with a serious illness (this isn't the forum to describe such things)... and once I was recovering and out of the woods I was bored stiff in there and had nothing to entertain me but a Discman (remember those?) and about 10 CDs.

I can honestly say some of them are still some of my favourite albums - they got me through a bad time, but I don't associate them with the the bad memories at all.
    Glad you can still enjoy old favorites. I guess I can still enjoy old favorites as well.

Thread Information