Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Doubting what doctor has told me about my MRI results

Re: Doubting what doctor has told me about my MRI results

A doctor is and has to be straightforeward with lab results. Keeping nasty things away from you would be un-ethical and illegal. In fact, it would cost the doctors licence and will be a case for criminal persecution and imprisoment. No, they dont hode fact away from you. That is just the anxiety mind playing tricks on you. Believe me, they dont.

You should be celebrating your good results! This is the problem when folks with HA push for scans even when the doctor’s don’t think you need them. Reassurance testing never works. You will always doubt results. Congrats on the clear scan. Now move on and get your anxiety helped.

Quote Originally Posted by flatterycat View Post
    Thanks Toddmum.

Basically the Neuro advised my doc to send me for an MRI scan.
    I was referred urgently but still could not wait, so chose to get it done privately.
    My doctor sent the referral to the private MRI department and I had it done.
    The results were sent back to my GP after the radiologist checked my scans.
    I was never under a Neuro. The only link was that my GP didn’t want to send me for a scan, but compromised by writing to the Neuro for advice, to which he said get a scan done. I am not on any waiting lists.

The private aspect was just the scan.
    Ive been through a similar process for mri scan in the past.

So, just to clarify - the neuro that advised the GP for an MRI scan was working for the NHS? Or was he/she the neuro at the private hospital? Bare in mind consultants can and do work for both.

Your scan is fine, there is nothing to worry about. The GP would not tell you everything is fine if it was not. Plus a radiologist will have checked your scan first as they are the experts in reading MRI scans. Sending the report/scan to the neuro is most likely out of professional courtesy to keep a record.

Also don't forget in this story (as I understand it) the scan was precautionary because they'd confused a relative-by-marriage with a blood relative in the account you gave them. I'd bet that just nudged the neuro into recommending a "just-in-case" scan because they thought you were in a risk category that you're actually not.

Oh yeah, and the MRI is clear of course.

Yes axolotl you are right about the relative error. Thanks again for your wise words throughout my posts.

Shimmy - the Neuro was written to through NHS. It’s just that I had the scan done privately. Report was requested by my GP on the advice of Neuro.

Steph A and Paranoid Viking - thanks for responding and giving me your thoughts. My anxiety has certainly hit new heights. I have had this particular worry bubbling away for months (if not years), so I suppose it may take a while for me to accept I might be ok.

Fishmanpa- Yes I totally recognise what you are saying. Sometimes it’s harder to move away from the things that we know are bad for us. You are right too about the fact that I was doing well - I was - but after last summer it’s gradually increased again.

Quote Originally Posted by flatterycat View Post
    Fishmanpa- Yes I totally recognise what you are saying. Sometimes it’s harder to move away from the things that we know are bad for us. You are right too about the fact that I was doing well - I was - but after last summer it’s gradually increased again.
    It is hard. I love a good beer now and again. I really do BUT.... guess what? Even with me limiting myself to a few a month due to all the meds I take, I'm saying goodbye to it. I had a few over the Christmas holiday and subsequently got a horrible gout attack in my wrist. So bad that I literally could not use my right hand for close to a week! Was it a coincidence? I don't think so Alcohol and beer in particular can cause gout flare ups. So rather than take the risk of that happening again, I'm done.

Like I said. This appears to be a blip. Try pulling out some of the techniques you know worked fr you before and utilizing them to help get you back on track

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

As a deputy headteacher you must know all about "good practice" so why not give yourself some rules and regulations?

I must not doubt the results of highly complex MRI scans

I must not think that my GP is withholding devastating medical information from me in order to give me a relaxing weekend

I must believe that a GP has a duty to send test results to a neurologist she had consulted as a matter of professional courtesy. Nothing more, nothing less.

I need to move on from my BT fears after having a clear MRI scan result. Normal means normal-no exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    As a deputy headteacher you must know all about "good practice" so why not give yourself some rules and regulations?

I must not doubt the results of highly complex MRI scans

I must not think that my GP is withholding devastating medical information from me in order to give me a relaxing weekend

I must believe that a GP has a duty to send test results to a neurologist she had consulted as a matter of professional courtesy. Nothing more, nothing less.

I need to move on from my BT fears after having a clear MRI scan result. Normal means normal-no exceptions.
    I love this idea and am going to adapt it for my own situations.

You have been so helpful to people on here, toddsmum. You're a great asset to this forum!

Thanks everyone.

Pulisa - I like the rules you’ve written. And yes, you’d think I’d have some sense about following good practice from my job.

I was thinking tonight about my reaction to what the doctor told me. There is a big part of me that feels like I don’t deserve good news. Now I’m not saying I’m bad or anything like that, and I’m not trying to be dramatic, but I definitely have a feeling of not deserving normal healthy results. Weird.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information