Thread: Panic Attacks - Any advice?

Panic Attacks - Any advice?

Panic Attacks Re-Occuring

I used to get panic attacks when I was about 9 years old on and off for a year or two. I went a child psychologist - who basically just taught me how to be calm and deal with them and they eventually stopped.

I'm now seventeen and about two months ago, a few days before me and my boyfriends one year anniversary (don't know if thats significant in any way!) I randomly had a mild panic attack.
    Since then, particularly the week after it happened, I've had feelings of anxiety on and off - although most days I've been fine.
    I've been feeling fine recently but in the past week or so I've been under a bit of stress and whether its to do with that or not, this weekend I had quite a bad panic attatck.
    It started off with palputations, which I've had before and simply ignored... but then the panic set in and I started shaking. This lasted for about half an hour or so.

Is it common for panic attacks to come back as you get older?

Cheers for any advice, Danni

Re: Panic Attacks - Any advice?

...These panic-attack feeling also came back on the same night, after I'd been asleep and also for five or ten minutes the morning after - does anyone know why this might have happened?

I really don't, as I'm normally a pretty laid back person so any advice is welcome! lol

hello danni,
    sometimes when we have a bad panic attacks its like its burnt into our brains and we dont forget how they felt,so when we feel a little off we go back into that what if thot..what if i get a panic attack ya know what im saying and if you have been under stress i would think that would set off an anxiety attack i feel at my worse when im under alot of stress, if you can just try and tell yourself when you get them that they cant harm you and ride thru it ,it will subside and just keep letting them come knowing they wont harm you and i truly believe they start to get less and less like someone said awile ago and ive also always called it too my friends here at home its the monster and it likes to be fed.....so if we keep feeding it this monster will win..........hope that makes sense to you lol....i wish ya the best keep positive and keep the faith......Linda

i have been getting atacks for about 3 years and even though i try to do things i wonder will they ever go away.

Hiya
    Sorry to hear your going through a bad time.
    Panic attacks can reoccur but it does not mean they will last forever. You just need to get through them again. Its not easy but you can do it. Is there anyone you can talk to about it?
    Take care hun
    Blackie

“Sometimes you put walls up not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to break them down.”

“True bravery is shown by performing without witness what one might be capable of doing before all the world

Thread Information