Thread: Breathing Problems

Breathing Problems

Hi There,
    It's a long time since I wrote my own thread and I have tried resisting and struggled to accept what I have is anxiety related but I just need some reassurance please....
    First the setting - Work is a little more stressed than usual - more other peoples problems than my own but I tend to identify and worry about how others are feeling. We went to appeal about sons school and have had to wait 3 weeks for outcome - should know this Friday - I try to accept what will be will be, but I struggle as I want to know now and I want him to get our first choice school ! ( Control freak !! )

Symtoms - Week last Saturday woke feeling like I was suffocating - niggles throughout last weekend of concentrating on breathing. Last Saturday and yesterday have been feeling like I need to constantly yawn and sometimes I try to yawn but can't get that satisfied feeling of taking a deep breath - it sort of catches. I am managing to think - I have been here before and it will pass it is just old Mr Anxiety. But then very occasionally I think what if it's not? Been to work and I am determined to carry on as normal. I just want to know that others have this feeling of not being able to take that satisfying deep breath and yawning all the time.
    Thanks
    Dawn x
    'Hold me close, let Your love surround me, bring me near, draw me to Your side; And as I wait, I'll rise up like the eagle, and I will soar with You; Your spirit leads me on, In the power of Your Love.'

Re: Breathing Problems

Dawn

I can sympathise cos I am having the breathing issues at the moment and it makes me more anxious.

I am trying to do deep breathing exercises to help me get back on track.

Not nice is it?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

i get it a lot when i dont sleep good.what i do is slow my mind down and relax and diaphragm breathe through my nose and it helps me a ton.slow ur whole state of being down.hope i helped.

Hi Dawn
    I know exactly what you are experiencing. I've suffered with this for years and have a daily battle with it. I have the book by Dinah Bradley, I'd recommend this to anyone that is struggling with breathing problems as it really does help explain everything.

Also I was given this advice by my physiotherapist:

Low. slow breaths (not big)
    Aim for 10 breaths per minute
    Breathe in and out through the nose
    Use swallowing to divert deep breath, sigh or yawn.

HTH

Yes I get this too, I've recently been through six months of bad anxiety where breathing problems were a big part of it. I've been OK for a couple of months now, but over the last two or three days, I've felt it creeping back again. Breathing is again an issue. I'm trying to deal with it gently, I really don't want to go back to how I was, so like you dizzyd, I keep telling myself that I've been here before and it will pass.

Smile Re: Breathing Problems

Thanks for your replies - It is so reassuring to know others experience this too. I took myself along to Doc (first time in over year ) saw a Doc I haven't seen before and he was very empathetic. As I expected my lungs are clear. So it is just anxiety - onwards and upwards !!
    Just know that when we finally get outcome of appeal for sons high school choice, I will be more relaxed - thought we may know yesterday but apparently is will be Tuesday.
    Not yawning as much but getting the suffocating feeling more ! Doesn't stop me talking though !!!
    What a lovely day it has been
    Love to ALL
    Dawn x
    'Hold me close, let Your love surround me, bring me near, draw me to Your side; And as I wait, I'll rise up like the eagle, and I will soar with You; Your spirit leads me on, In the power of Your Love.'

I know howyou feel it completely takes over your life. I was in tescos the other day and i just couldnt breath. The air would not go past my chest. I tried to do deep breathing but couldnt so i left the shop and got home as quickly as possible . But at home ( in my comfort zone) it was just as bad. I tried doing the yawning thing but it didnt hep. Anyway ive still got it now, but i try to keep busy and ive noticed that if you , lets say make a cake. You will find -because your consentrating on the baking your breathing gets a little better.
    So all in all i ended up making around 4 cakes!! But i did feel better , so try and keep your self really busy untill the syptom passes.

Hugs
    Elly
    xxxx

Can I too recommend the book by Dinah Bradley 'Hyperventilation Syndrome' if you haven't already got it. It's a smashing book and a real easy read - gives you a whole insight on the effects of crappy breathing.

I think if I had read this years ago when I started having such poor breathing habits I may never have gone on to get panic attacks.

Love Piglet

Yeah its called anxiety been there done that and still am..Happens especially when really anxious..as a matter of fact kind of happening to me all day today..

Dont know why im particuarlly anxious just one of those days .even the littlest thing caused me to feel that way even watering the lawn..and my right hand felt as though it was so weak..odd its not doing it now and i have been typing for hours..Michael

Dont sweat the small stuff ...its all small stuff...Old indian saying lol..

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyd View Post
    Hi There,
    It's a long time since I wrote my own thread and I have tried resisting and struggled to accept what I have is anxiety related but I just need some reassurance please....
    First the setting - Work is a little more stressed than usual - more other peoples problems than my own but I tend to identify and worry about how others are feeling. We went to appeal about sons school and have had to wait 3 weeks for outcome - should know this Friday - I try to accept what will be will be, but I struggle as I want to know now and I want him to get our first choice school ! ( Control freak !! )

Symtoms - Week last Saturday woke feeling like I was suffocating - niggles throughout last weekend of concentrating on breathing. Last Saturday and yesterday have been feeling like I need to constantly yawn and sometimes I try to yawn but can't get that satisfied feeling of taking a deep breath - it sort of catches. I am managing to think - I have been here before and it will pass it is just old Mr Anxiety. But then very occasionally I think what if it's not? Been to work and I am determined to carry on as normal. I just want to know that others have this feeling of not being able to take that satisfying deep breath and yawning all the time.
    Thanks
    Dawn x

Thread Information