Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cinnamon and liver

Re: Cinnamon and liver

My taste buds are
    not the best, I didn't notice any issues till the last day when my mouth started to burn.

I dont know, I am trying to trust a doctor, I always second guess them, she says it will pass (asked 2 days ago) saying that since I had good results before I did that silly bit that it takes more to damage. I just am not sure what to belive

I'm no doctor or an expert, but I am indian and my mother always tells me off for using too much cinnamon in my tea because it is a "warm food", too many "warm foods" like cinnamon or ginger can causes you pain when you pee and other problems (nose bleeds etc), it sounds silly and I never used to listen to her but I've had stuff like this happen before and she and other elders in my family tell me that is why.

The best way they say to counteract this sort of problem is by drinking cold milk, and sometimes milk mixed with water. People may disagree but I honestly have had pains like this before and milk cured them, I definitely think if you've consumed that much cinnamon then you should drink a lot of milk and water, atleast thats what my family would prescribe me.

so just filter out my system basically? Thats what I assumed a dr would say to do too. Not much I dont think they can do. I just you know am worried about my function of my organs. I will always be cautious on amounts of anything now.

Quote Originally Posted by SEANML View Post
    so just filter out my system basically? Thats what I assumed a dr would say to do too. Not much I dont think they can do. I just you know am worried about my function of my organs. I will always be cautious on amounts of anything now.
    If you aren't a vegan or aren't lactose intolerant then I highly suggest drinking a lot of milk and cold water. Yes you are filtering out your system by doing that and it will ease the pain.

I had a similar pain in my lower abdomen and I know it was because I consumed a lot of ginger and cinnamon, I would drink 3-4 cups of tea with both in them a day. I used milk to cure that and it worked wonders.

can only do almond milk, have a allergy. But ye im all bloated and sore up under the rib. So annoying what I did. Was concerned I did permanent damage

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    4-6 tablespoons of cinnamon 4 times a day ? Sorry to sound so astonished, but that is an extraordinary amount, and I don't know how you could even tolerate that strength of flavour to be honest. Your doctor knows the quantity you were having?

Well, its the Coumarin, as you will know, that causes the problem. Look, I dont think anybody here can give you an answer on this. If there is a medical problem from that quantity then only your doctor can do the necessary tests needed to ascertain any liver or kidney function changes. If you are feeling really unwell, have the pain and the symptoms you say, then maybe its time to get yourself back there for more checks.

I'm sorry I can't be more help than that. I'm also not trying to worry you to be honest, but I am presuming your doctor has generally checked you over physically and feels the concerns you have are unfounded?
    As Carys says, it's the Coumarin. But 50g of cinnamon isn't 50g of Coumarin. It varies by cinnamon type.

You may not even be absorbing it all anyway.

Have a look on the examinesupplements site if you want to understand this and how cinnamon daily levels have been revised down over the years.

But as far as liver toxicity goes, I expect your GP would know the signs of that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information