Thread: when you acknowledge problem, gets worse

when you acknowledge problem, gets worse

Now that I have acknowledged(to myself) this problem its getting worse. Im having slight attacks around women and men now! Its like Im opening up a lot of something that is not helping it. I dont even know what Im opening. Feelings, emotions about it, I dont know. Is that suppose to happen? Any advice ? I cant behave at work like this.
    hermit

Hi hermit,

Often when things are kept supressed we can cope for keeping them hidden for a certain amount of time but eventually it will blow one way or another .

When we acknowledge something it then brings it to the forefront of our minds and little things make us think of it which is why you are probably feeling it more at present.

Meg
    www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

hi Hermit,

I think that Meg is probably right. You have just admitted to yourself that you are suffering from anxiety and that is a lot for your head to deal with. It has probably all just got on top of you...

Sarah

I'm not sure about this one hermit, although Meg is probably right.

Also, was there any reason you came to this site, incresased anxiety recently? It could just be that you've been going through a stressful time and that it's all coming to a head at the same time that you've accepted it all, just out of coincidence.

What I do know, is that learning about my own anxiety has been extremely helpful to me, and the only way to start that is through acceptance of it. This site has been extremely helpful to me too, through all the information it gives to me. Once you know what you're dealing with, you can get on and deal with it - not as easy as it sounds, I know all too well, but it's still true.

You've already done well to accept your anxiety. You've got the ball rolling.

Good luck

mico

Hi Hermit

As a complete lay-person, but a panic monster supreme ...
    I can only speak from personal experience.

If you imagine that your brain is a cupboard, there is only so much stuff you can push in it, before it springs open and things come tumbling out.
    Once these things come out, the best thing is to deal with them.

However in order to deal with your problems it means the unpleasant job of acknowledging and facing them.
    At the moment you may feel swamped by the torrent of emotion. Everything from flustration to feeling like you are going mad.
    It is perfectly normal to feel like this.

Sometimes it feels like things are getting worse.
    This is perfectly normal too.
    I agree with Meg. Because you are confronting these feelings and problems, they are at the forefront of your mind. So naturally you are going to be thinking about them.

It does get better. But it takes time.

Love, light and Best wishes
    Liz xxx
    With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
    The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

Thank You stimpy, mico, seh, meg. Thank you for responding, it helped me very much, and if I could I would give you all a hug. What kind people there are on this site. I will remember all you teach me about panic attacks so that when I get further along in recovering from it, I will be able to give the same advice to others. Again, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

You are very welcome Hermit [8D]

The thing about panic is, it is a master mimmick.
    It makes you feel as if you have 1001 things wrong with you, and all of them are unpleasant and life threatening.

Imagine you are sitting in a chair watching tv, relaxing and someone creeps up behind you and says "BOO!"

What happens?

You jump, shake, sweat, suffer with a racing heart ....
    (sounding familiar yet ?)

Now all of these things happen for split seconds and then fade away. You turn to the person who scared you and say " Don't do that! You made me jump".

Panic disorder is like someone saying "BOO!" 24 / 7

You get the same physical reactions. But because they feel perminant you notice them more.
    And because you notice them more, you then start to believe that you have 1001 things wrong with you. All of them deadly and all of them caused by going out, shopping, talking to new people, busy traffic .....

Love, light and Best wishes
    Liz xxx
    With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
    The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

stimpy,
    your example of boo couldnt be more right. It made me feel good to read it. Thank you.

Thread Information