Thread: Gastro appt freaking me out

Gastro appt freaking me out

I’ve never had a colonoscopy. I’m 36, my GP referred me to a GI because I’ve had hemms off and on for 3 months with some nausea, blood on tp, etc.

My brother had ulcerative colitis, so he thinks they’ll do a full colonoscopy. Honestly... this is making it worse. He said zero chance of cancer two weeks ago but now all of a sudden he won’t rule anything out.

I do take several meds for depression/anxiety/sleep... and thyroid. My doctor choice probably needs to change... he’s terrible in regard to anxiety.

So I wait... nervous and scared I only have a few months to live. Why can’t I accept that it’s likely IBS or something not so life threatening?

Re: Gastro appt freaking me out

I’m going through this now also. I have a gastro appt tomorrow and I’m just plain old freaked out. I have literally stopped eating because going to the bathroom results in me panicking. Ugh I don’t know either in terms of how to stop this thinking. Please know you’re not alone though.

Also going through similar and although my doctor said he is sure it is IBD, he still mentioned bowel cancer. It's terrifying I know, I am 32, no family history but still panicking that this is what they will find when they do the colonscopy. Keep us updated.

Jenni. I’ve been following your thread and want you to know I’m praying for you and wishing you peace as hard as that is during this time of worry.

I had my gastro appt today. She felt around my stomach and sat and talked with me a lot about my symptoms. Since this is an accute thing for me she is first going to check my stools for the following: c-diff, bacteria, giardia, parasites and whatever cultures they do for stool. I got like 5 vials.

I asked her if she thought I needed a endoscopy or a colonoscopy (I had a sigmoidoscopy last August) and she said “not right now. Nothing is jumping out at me.” She also prescribed an anti spastic to see if that settles things down. I go back on March 20 to get results of all the stool tests and to see what’s next. Do I feel better? Eh. I mean not necessarily. I’m just taking it one day at a time. That’s all we can do. The appt itself was a breeze so try to relax as hard as that is. Wishing you good thoughts

Thank you, all these kind thoughts really help x

Thread Information