Hi all

Just after some advice if possible. After being stable on 37.5mg of venlafaxine for about 5 years I had a crash 3 weeks ago. I suffer from anxiety/panic attacks and have done for about 15 years on and off.

The doctor put me on propranolol and increased my dose to 75mg and gave me diazepam for if I need it. I’m totally phobic of the stuff though and try my best not to take it. Anyway to cut a long story short I’ve been on the increased dose for 3 weeks and 3 days. Last week I had some days where I felt quite good others that were still a bit off, but definitely better than the two weeks before.

However from Saturday morning up to now I have been almost constantly anxious like in quite a state. Early hours of Sunday morning I took myself to a&e I felt so bad. I was having this thing where my whole body was shaking inside and I had all the classic anxiety/panic symptoms. Last night from Nowhere I had about two hours where I felt really calm it was nice, but 2am it all started again. I probably should have nipped this in the bud with diazepam (which I know works) but I worry about becoming dependant, rebound anxiety, it stopping working etc.

So I just went to the doctors. She told me I can take the diazepam when I need it, and if I need it I can take it 3 times a day (not sure about that). She also said I can increase to 150mg venlafaxine if I want. I have been this high only once before and have been settled at 37.5 for so long. I’ve never had to ramp up twice before.

Just looking for some opinions. I’m really concerned venlafaxine has stopped working for me or something, why would I have some good days then go back to square one? Also and mainly should I consider an increase when I have only been on the 75mg for 3 weeks and 3 days? I have an appointment Thursday so I’ve said I’ll think about it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, I’m feeling pretty hopeless right now x