Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can dogs detect cancer?

Re: Can dogs detect cancer?

To go off of what Bigboy said, yes, there are dogs that can detect cancer in urine (among other things). But they are TRAINED to do so. I have a Cocker spaniel with an amazing nose, and we've done nosework activities together where he'll find and alert to a specific scent. He didn't come programmed to alert to any scent, especially not something that isn't food. But with training, he can. Just like those dogs.

He goes to the bathroom with me as well. It's really less of a cancer alert and more of an attachment and the fact that he just wants to be with me.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    To go off of what Bigboy said, yes, there are dogs that can detect cancer in urine (among other things). But they are TRAINED to do so. I have a Cocker spaniel with an amazing nose, and we've done nosework activities together where he'll find and alert to a specific scent. He didn't come programmed to alert to any scent, especially not something that isn't food. But with training, he can. Just like those dogs.

He goes to the bathroom with me as well. It's really less of a cancer alert and more of an attachment and the fact that he just wants to be with me.
    Exactly Poppy its a bond between man and his best friend and that all it is ATB

If that was the case, I am in deep trouble, because my dog lays on my feet while I go to the bathroom. They just want to be with us, they love us. All it is, plain and simple, enjoy it.

My dogs do they same, they have to be around me when I go potty or take a bath. Same with my cats, they flip out if I shut them out of the bathroom.

I have heard of dogs detecting cancer but they keep sniffing at an area and try to dig at it.

As others have said dogs have been trained to detect cancer. What your dog is doing is just normal dog behaviour.
    Dogs have something magical about them. The Briard we had as our family dog when i was growing up would go to the door 5 minutes before my Dad pulled into the driveway everyday, it's not that my Dad got home at the same time everyday and no way could he hear his car.

I think dogs can detect smells that are different from normal. For example, they can detect a UTI in urine. The fact that a dog acts different around you may be nothing to do with smell but it could also be a non serious health problem. Dogs can just detect a change, they don't know what it is.

If that's true then my whole family must have bowel cancer as my dog waits for everyone who goes in to the toilet!

Your dog is just showing affection, don't worry!

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunRyder View Post
    If that's true then my whole family must have bowel cancer as my dog waits for everyone who goes in to the toilet!

Your dog is just showing affection, don't worry!
    Or saying "for God's sake stop eating those sprouts, you do realise how powerful my sense of smell is?!!!"

I think it is the normal thing for your pets to cuddle up to you and follow you about.
    They sense what time you come and go. We had two dogs that did this.
    We had them for sixteen years and we have had illness , but no cancer.
    We are still breathing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information