Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A query on bowel screening - can anyone help please?

A query on bowel screening - can anyone help please?

Hi there, does anyone know anything about the bowel screening scope that is now being offered to 55 year olds in England? They were talking about bowel cancer screening on Radio 4 and after some research I discovered that this is a new test now being rolled out across the country and if you are aged 55 you will be invited to go for a flexible sigmoidoscopy. Wish I’d never listened to the programme now! This has sent my HA into overdrive - was quite accepting of the anticipated poo test when I get to 60 but I was 55 last month and am now waiting with dread for the invite letter to drop through my letterbox, although it may not even be available in my area yet! I am so anxious about having the procedure, although it is optional, and would be equally anxious if I didn’t. Has anyone been sent an invite to attend? Did you go? Was it awful? If I reach 56 and haven’t been invited, do I just go into the system to get the poo test at 60? Really freaking out here, I don’t want to spend this whole year anxsting about this and am too scared to ask my doctor, poor chap I see him sooooo often! Sorry for the long post.

Re: A query on bowel screening - can anyone help please?

If you are worried asked your gp. My Dad was in his 60s when he got sent his kit never been for a sigmoidoscopy, neither has my mum she 60 this year.

Here in the States we're not "invited" but they recommend a colon/bowel screening at age 50. But here, it's typically a colonoscopy which looks at the entire bowel. Either way it's no big deal. I was knocked out, awoke and it was over. The worst part is the prep. Have a good book or make sure your laptop battery is charged

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I'm not of that age but i'm sure the bowel screening is just the poo sample?

Quote Originally Posted by BikerMatt View Post
    I'm not of that age but i'm sure the bowel screening is just the poo sample?
    Typically a colonoscopy or flexible sigmoidoscopy. I didn't have to do a poo sample.

Anyway... still not a big deal

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

I had a sigmoidoscopy because of abdominal pain, and because I did not accept the ibs what my doctor came up with, the prep was awful and I tap out a few times during the scan as I just had the air no sedate

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Typically a colonoscopy or flexible sigmoidoscopy. I didn't have to do a poo sample.

Anyway... still not a big deal

Positive thoughts
    In the UK the general screening is just a kit you get through the post, wipe some samples on and send it back. I think

In the UK the general screening is just a kit you get through the post, wipe some samples on and send it back. I think
    Yes my Dad had to do this , still does not sure whether he had he kit this year

The OP is talking about a new test being rolled out. I believe the flexible sigmoidoscopy is a bit less invasive. But like I said, it was no biggie. I'm good for another few years I think.

Positive thoughts and pooper cameras

Jane, I think the test you're referring to is for people over 55 who live in Gloucestershire. It's probably being trialled there and will be offered nationally if it's successful. For the rest of us it's the bowel testing kit at 60.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information