Thread: Benzo shame

Benzo shame

Why do i feel so guilty about using Klonopin daily? I know why... I'm scared. I am now dependent on them to make me feel better. I feel ashamed and discouraged. No medication has helped me. How do i work on feeling better and reducing my klonopin without having panic attacks. I cant live in constant fear. I'm 38 and have a little boy to take care of. He cannot see me living a life full of anxiety. I'm trying trintellix as prescribed by my psychiatrist, however its a super low dose. Hopefully that's all i need so that i can feel better and wean off the klonopin. This isn't fair. I don't know what i did to deserve this anxiety and panic disorder. I've gained so much weight from meds and am literally wasting my life away.

Yesterday was an okay day. The weather was gorgeous outside and my husband and i took my son to the park. I was lacking energy, however i felt better being active with him. Does anyone have positive stories related to how they got off daily use of Klonopin/Xanax or some other benzo. What is the key to doing this? Please only positive stories & comments. I don't need to feel worse that i already do.
    Last edited by Ethansmom; 07-05-18 at 15:01.

Re: Benzo shame

Hi ya

Since being on nomorepanic I have seen you post multiple times about different meds - I think you haven’t found the right medication regime yet which is why you have and are dependant on klonopin. In a way I am too I don’t take them everyday but I defo need them for things like team meetings etc and rely on them to get me through a hard day. That is because my symptoms are not fully controlled by my med regime either so I still have anxiety and sometimes depression. I think unfortunately it’s a trial and error process until you find the right medication - you seem to keep trying SSRI’s? I can’t tolerate any SSRI so I lean more towards older meds but currently on mirtazapine... maybe suggest a change of med - I have heard that moclobemide ( a RIMA - linked closely to MAOI’s) is a great medication for depression and social anxiety.... get your main meds right then your reliance on benzo will reduce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Benjamin,

Yes, you hit the nail on the head! you are totally right. I've tried SNRI's/SSRI's and one TCA. I also give up when they increase anxiety initially in the beginning. Is this a normal part of the start up process? I see my doctor next week for a med review. I don't think she knows what to do, which is even scarier to me. She mentioned a low dose of seroquel. How is that going to help, other than put me to sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by Ethansmom View Post
    Hi Benjamin,

Yes, you hit the nail on the head! you are totally right. I've tried SNRI's/SSRI's and one TCA. I also give up when they increase anxiety initially in the beginning. Is this a normal part of the start up process? I see my doctor next week for a med review. I don't think she knows what to do, which is even scarier to me. She mentioned a low dose of seroquel. How is that going to help, other than put me to sleep?

Hi ya

Yes they all tend to increase anxiety at the start to nearly an unacceptable level. The problem you have is a doctor normally prescribes a benzo to help start ups but benzo’s don’t work as well with you as you have high tolerance. I think most increase anxiety and depression at the start unfortunately. Do you see a psych or a doctor? Seroquel can be very effective for some and for others it isnt? I’ve been on it for a year or 2 now and I’m starting to reduce it now. Seroquel can quiet the mind and act like a Benzo so it may be worth a shot? Also olazapine is meant to be better than Seroquel if you are stepping in to antipsychotics. Steer clear of the ssri and snri - go for a tricyclics or an MAOi. Your benzo usage will reduce over time once your at peace with your anxiety .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthr...56#post1760556

Please read the below post from Admin. You are posting about a lot of different things frequently. Perhaps start a thread where you can keep all of your worries in one place.

Can posters, especially those who are posting a lot about a variety of fears please confine their posts to one thread.

This helps others to build up a clear picture of what is happening and makes it easier to offer suitable advice.

You may not see the pattern but usually it is there, especially if you are posting frequently about different things.

Your co-operation with this would be greatly appreciated.

Elen

Hi Benjamin,

I do see a psychiatrist. The benzos do help me, but at a higher dose and i'm afraid to go higher. I wish i could just have a different mind set and just take the higher dose until the other meds work. I may try seroquel. thank you for replying to me.

Thread Information