Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Just switched to Escitalopram: my experience

Re: Just switched to Escitalopram: my experience

Day 32 (Day 9 of increased dose)

Good lord, am I really on Day 32 of these pills, with very little improvement?? That's depressing in itself to think about!

On Day 9 of the increased dose. I've only had one or two mornings where I got the spaced out feeling when I turn my head. Otherwise, no side effects. Also no improvement that I can tell. I've almost convinced myself to move up to 10 mg tomorrow. I'm starting to think escitalopram isn't going to work for me. It seems like I'd notice it starting to work by now, even on such a small dose.

We got back from vacation this afternoon. Despite morning anxiety and insomnia, I had a great time! I wish we could have stayed longer. I definitely gained back a few of the pounds I've lost;-).

Hello Nervouskel,
    I didn’t get much benefit from escitalopram until I got to 10mg, and as I’ve said on my thread, I’ve had to go up to 15 and that doesn’t seem to be doing it for me either. The other meds I’ve had long term in the past just worked and let me get on with it. Not happy. Maybe something will happen for you on 10mg?

Hi Kel l am on day 30 at 10mgs and still have bad anxiety feeling hopeless.

Day 37 (One week ?? on 7.5 ish mg)

No, I'm still not on 10 mg ;-). On our last few days of vacation, I started cutting the pills a bit bigger though. I'd guess they are pretty close to 7.5 mg, maybe even closer to 8.

The good news is, I think I'm finally starting to feel them starting to work. Last night was the 5th night in a row I didn't take anything to help me sleep :-). I did wake up for a few hours in the middle of the night, but it didn't worry me, and eventually I fell back asleep. I've also been getting tired during the day, and feeling more relaxed. Yesterday morning, I actually woke up in a good mood, and with no anxiety! It did come back after I got up, but it was great to wake up without it.

I've also been having some more side effects with the slight increase. All minor, and manageable. Stomach problems in the morning, that disappear by mid morning. A "buzzy" feeling in my head that comes and goes. Excessive sweating: I had this the entire 5 years I was on Citalopram, and just learned to live with it. It went away completely when I switched to escitalopram, but now it's back. I've been also a bit spaced out.

---------- Post added at 12:57 ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by will351 View Post
    Hi Kel l am on day 30 at 10mgs and still have bad anxiety feeling hopeless.
    I wonder if it's time to talk to your doctor about going up to 15 mg?

10 mg is a pretty low dose. My doctor told me she has a few patients on 30 mg, and one even on 40 mg. I won't be surprised if I have to go up to a higher dose, especially in the winter since I'm prone to Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Took my first dose of generic lexapro tonight - 10mg and hoping and praying it helps. I was prescribed an antihistamine (hydroxyzine or something?) for accrue anxiety- especially at night. I’m drowsy which for me is a good thing.

I took Citalopram for a month and had little help from it. I believe I took lexapro about 6 years ago and it helped greatly so I’m staying hopeful that this time it will help as well.

Are there any side effects I should know about?

My psych is very much of the opinion that if he tells me which side effects he’s looking out for I’ll definitely have them! He knows me so well!

I’ve been on 15mg for three weeks now and am just starting to feel better. 10 was good to start with, but it was clear I needed to go up. I have suffered from side effects, which I worried were signs that I couldn’t tolerate the drug and would have to change.

Good luck. It’s been a long process for me, but I think sticking it out is the answer.

Day 43. Week 2 on 7.5 (ish) mg.

I still haven't gone up to 10 mg, but I'm doing really well on this dose :-).

I'm sleeping much better. I haven't had to take a sleep aid now for almost 2 weeks. Last night, I slept right through the night, which is unusual for me at any time ;-). Usually, I wake at least once in the night.

I had a few days last week where I had absolutely no anxiety, and was 100 % back to my old self. The rest of the time, I've had very mild anxiety that comes and goes. I did have one afternoon last week of increased anxiety for no reason, which I chalked up to a side effect.

My appetite is back in full.

Side effects: besides the afternoon of increased anxiety, I've also had 5-6 "episodes" now where I'm absolutely ravenous, and feel I need to eat....a lot! I hope this is a side effect that goes away soon, as I don't want to gain back the nearly 20 pounds I've lost in the past 3 months.

I do still plan on going up to 10 mg in two weeks. It's just too much of a pain to cut the pills, plus I'm not getting the exact same amount of med each day. Since I'm seeing good results on the 7.5, I'm hopeful that 10 will be an effective dose for me.

This is great to read so happy for you Kel

Day 45.

Ugh, I'm having a setback right now :-(. I cut just the tiniest sliver out of one of my pills yesterday just to see how I would react. I figured if I had just mild side effects, I could move up to 10 mg today. I was fine all morning yesterday, then had a buzzy feeling in my head, which later turned into a really bad headache. Then, I couldn't fall asleep last night. I really didn't want to take any trazadone since I've been doing so well without it, so I decided not to take any. I ended up not sleeping at all. It appears now that I will be having some side effects when I move up to 10 mg :-(. I cut my pill a bit smaller today, and plan to do the same tomorrow since I work tomorrow and Friday. I might go up to 10 Saturday, or even Friday. I figure I might as well get it over with!!

On the plus side, I haven't noticed an increase in anxiety....yet. Nor have I had any stomach issues.

Good luck Kel.

Going up to 10 and then 15 both gave me insomnia/anxiety/jaw clenching. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet! X

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information