Thread: 10mg Citalopram to 2-4mg Diazepam

Question 10mg Citalopram to 2-4mg Diazepam

Hi guys, this is my first post so let me know if im doing something wrong.

I have been on Citalopram for about 2 weeks now and have had HORRIBLE side effects. nose bleeds, facial spasms, sweating, insomnia, jittering and more. I went to my doctor today to ask how i can wean off the citalopram, as i just dont think its for me. He suggested that since i have only been on it for two weeks, it should be a lot easier to come of it. He suggested i take 1-2 2mg Diazepam up to 3 times daily for the next four days, as it will 'counteract' the side effects from Citalopram.

i guess my question is, has anyone else had this experience? i assumed i would be put down to 5mg of Citalopram for a while first. I have had some horrible experience with withdrawals from antidepressants before so im worried.

Would love to hear peoples thoughts and experiences on coming off Citalopram.
    Last edited by mel0603; 03-06-18 at 02:33.

Re: 10mg Citalopram to 2-4mg Diazepam

Hi and welcome to the forum

You can come straight off as you haven't been on it long enough to see the real work they do which is where the withdrawal comes in as the body has become used to the drug and then has to adjust again.

Side effects can range with any of these meds and it's so individual. Sometimes some people are not suited to one but are another even when they are in the same class as there are always differences between them and how they impact on other neurotransmitters as well.

It could even be that you are sensitive to them, and this can be about anxiety too as if that's really bad anything can be triggering, so your thing abut trying 5mg seems appropriate. Your doctor doesn't seem to have a strategy other than to come off so it may mean trying a different antidepressant and the unfortunate problem is that we never know what that will be like. Therefore if you determined you could go in at 5mg then adjust to 10mg and go further from there it may help you get on this one. It does mean taking longer to feel the benefits though so you have to accept it's a trade off.

Starting these meds can be a horrible experience. It was for me on the two I've tried. The first time I fell apart, the second was worse but I hung on through it. The difference for me was knowing it could be a very hard experience and just fighting through one day at a time until it eased off. When I first started, which was actually Citalopram 20mg (many GP's are wise to this now and go in at 10mg), I was new to anxiety and didn't understand what I was going through. The result was me panicking about what was happening and it was the first time I ever experienced depression.

So, if you can find a way through then try it but I now how hard this can be, as many on here do, and if you feel you really can't keep going with them then it's time to discuss the best way forward with your doctor.

Thread Information