Thread: Feeling bad - agrophobia and travel

Feeling bad - agrophobia and travel

I have to travel this evening and I'll be away from home for 2 nights. The panic is already starting to kick in - feeling nauseous, aches and pains, my stomach is burning and I have that horrid feeling of doom and that something awful is going to happen.

I think the worst bit for me is being stuck on a traing for 2 hours and having to stay overnight not in my own home. I don't relax away from home and am not comfortable being surrounded by people (I'll be in company and can't very well walk off).

Anyone else feel like this and what do you do to combat it?

Re: Feeling bad - agrophobia and travel

Hey, I know what you're feeling .. I have the same problem, only at nights far away from home. I try to tell myself that ,nothing bad can happen, the worst case secenari is i spend a bad night. I will not die, and not go crazy. Also, do something to sitract yoursefl: watch a movie, listen to some good music, read a book. It's all in the head (i know, easy to say), but u'll see, this experience will only make u stronger! Good luck! Micha

Hi dorabella,

Do you have an mp3 player you could take with you? If so maybe you could try listening to some happy tunes whilst on the train and maybe some relaxation tracks for the evening?
    Or like Micha recommends read a book etc? The distraction will help you!

Dont forget that what you feel cannot harm you and the horrid panic feelings will pass.

I know just how you feel but you are so brave to be facing this, when you come home dont focus on how bad you might have felt really see it as an acheivement!!!

Good Luck!!!......You will be fine!!

x

Thanks for the encouragement - I have a couple of books with me, and I am sure that there will be enough noise on the train from OTHER PEOPLE'S MP3s to distract me.

Sometimes as you say the panic subsides without us even realizing it, but the prolonged anticipation today has been pretty bad and I think I just needed a bit of reassurance. I do feel really silly about this sometimes since I have been suffering from all this for a few years now - you should see me when I have to make a research trip to France!!! - and I'm only going a couple of hundred miles in the UK today.

Still, like others I adopted Churchill's maxim "Keep bu**ering on".

D

Hi Dorabella,

You are not silly at all!! You need to give yourself a huge pat on the back for going!!

Wow I cant even make it out the front door sometimes so making it to France is such a huge acheivement well done!!

And I agree with you the prolonged anticipation is so difficult but try and keep yourself distracted and try to stay positive.

Good Luck!!!

x

Thread Information