Thread: When Will It Get Better?

When Will It Get Better?

Hey, I've been prescribed Sertraline 50mg to try help my anxiety out which has flared up recently due to some stress in my family, and I've only taken one pill and I already feel absolutely awful. I haven't eaten since taking it at 4pm yesterday, I didn't sleep properly til 6am (i went to bed at 11pm), I stayed in bed til about 3pm, so about 16 hours in total. Five or so just laying there. My anxiety has flared up to the worst it's ever been, I feel sick, distractions stopped working to calm my anxiety for the first time ever and I feel quite down.

I rang the doctor who said this can be normal and to ride it for two weeks, but I dunno if I can. Day one and I'm already exhausted. I haven't eaten, scared I won't be able to keep it down and have zero appetite.

The only redeeming thing so far, is last night, when I was anxious about side effects, my anxiety just kinda... Stopped. It went away for a few hours and I thought that was indicative of what's to come, but Christ above I was wrong.

Thanks in advance

Re: When Will It Get Better?

Oh ChocoOrange, that's awful. I think some Dr.'s just do not understand what they are asking. They do not appreciate the sheer, all-devouring intensity of the physical & emotional symptoms. Getting through the next two hours can be utter torture.
    Some years ago, at my very worst, my husband dragged me gibbering to a GP who told me to drink Horlicks! I choked some down & threw up 2 minutes later.
    I was prescribed Sert last week & have not taken them. I don't think I shall.
    I can only suggest you contact your GP again & insist they either try you on a different drug, or possibly offer you some practical support. Is it possible to be prescribed a small number of Diazepam get you through the very worst?
    Diazepam really helped me, not to take regularly, but just one at the most awful times. Just knowing I have something to turn to is reassuring.
    I hope you have a better night tonight.

Thanks for your reply. I called them again after posting this, they suggested I could try split the tablet if it splits easily, so it'd effectively be 25mg. I might try that but I'm honestly terrified lol, I've never felt like that before and it was just day one. I've read so many people it takes upto 6 weeks to feel better and have little to no side effects. I really can't wait that long, I've got a funeral to go to in two weeks, which is the whole reason I'm even doing any of this. I fear I'll be too anxious to go.

I wish I could suggest a fool proof strategy to help you. I expect It's worth giving the split tablets a try, if it's still too bad then you can think again.
    I have health issues at the moment..Thought it was just anxiety & maybe ibs but the GP is sending me for tsets, so far found gallstones but more tests to come. I have to be able to get to appointments. Can barely cope as I am. Side effects will make it impossible.
    So I decided to postpone taking the Sertraline until (if!) I get these tests over with. I'm using every distraction, relaxation, visualisation coping trick I know & hoping to survive it that way. Breaking everything down into small steps.
    It won't always be like this. You will find a way through this tough time. Good luck.

I hope your tests are alright, I'm sure they will be. Perhaps you could try going on a suuper low dose like 25mg? Just to get it in your system a bit for when you want to commit to it? I'm sure the side effects will be negligible at that dose .

I think that's a good suggestion,.taking a lower dose to begin and it could work well.
    I probably won't though as I found out(NHS website initially) that there are risks associated with taking Sert and Imodium.
    I have a lot of gut problems & without imodium I can't get to appointments at GP or hospital. I can't manage without it.
    Let me know how you get on..Fingers crossed for you.

I was prescribed with 50mg of sertraline last Wednesday. I've had the most horrific week. I've non stop cried, had sleepless nights, the most awful headaches and nausea and felt extremely panicky. I'm 26 and I had to sleep in my mums bed because I kept waking up in the night feeling very cold and "weird" and it completely freaked me out. I also felt "unreal" for a few days and spaced out.

But then all the above went away by day 7.

Obviously I've still got the anxiety I had before, because my GP said I won't start feeling any benefit of the tablets until week 3 onwards, but the side effects have almost gone and I feel like I can go outside again at least.

Keep going, you will be fine do not dwell on other peoples stories of how it took them ages to get over the side effects or to feel better. Everyone is different.

That's super encouraging to hear. Good job on toughing out the side effects, I almost gave up on my first day! I think some of the side effects are slowing down a bit now, my jaw doesn't really hurt anymore which is nice, but I did sleep worse. I hope I can be good by day 7 too!

Thread Information