Thread: Panic Attack and Waking From Sleep With Acid Reflux

Panic Attack and Waking From Sleep With Acid Reflux

Hello All. I have suffered from Anxiety for around ten years now. I feel like I have it under control well, however this week I have had two pretty strong panic attacks.

For me, I feel my PA's are started from my diet and specifically GERD/Acid Reflux. They generally seem to happen at night when I am lying down or have been asleep just a little while.

What will happen is generally I will wake up quickly (jolt awake) with almost a suffocating feeling in my the center of my chest and I can actually hear my stomach/intestines churning. This feeling leads to a feeling of pressure in the center of my chest. A feeling of needing to either burp and go to the bathroom. Until I do either, the pressure builds and the anxiety hightens.

As the anxiety from this increases, I am generally in full on panic attack until the pressure breaks. From there I do my breathing exercises to calm down. Sometimes, also a warm shower helps relax me immediately after.

Does anyone else go through something similar to this, especially at night while sleeping or lying down to sleep? If so, any ideas to avoid even getting to this point?

Thank You!

Josh

Re: Panic Attack and Waking From Sleep With Acid Reflux

Quote Originally Posted by beatboy77 View Post
    If so, any ideas to avoid even getting to this point?
    It's common sense really. I have reflux and have for years. Occasionally, I've been awakened by it when acid comes up. 99% of the time it's because I ate something that doesn't exactly agree with me too late in the evening

So diet is #1. Try not to eat anything past 6 in the evening and look into the FODMAP diet. If you're not on a PPI, that would be #2. Even OTC PPIs like Zantac can be helpful. And #3 is keep a bottle of antacid handy. That calms my nighttime reflux straight away and allows me to get back to sleep fast.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

PPI's have shown to be harmful long term (even though people have taken them for years, they still have side effects).

For me, using Apple Cider Vinegar and not being silly with my diet has cured 90% of my reflux.

Trying to sleep with your head slightly raised can help stop acid rising up too.

Thank You for the replies. I feel the not eating past 6:00pm is probably a Good idea for me. As I know the GERD definately starts my panic process.

I have also noticed this happens more in the summer/warmer months. My Doctor said during these months, stomach acid has a higher volume in your stomach, so more people suffer from it

Hi Beatboy, I'm on PPIs permanently. No choice sadly, but would not recommend going on them unless absolutely necessary.

Diet and exercise are best options, as is weight loss if you are overweight. Also if you can you can tilt your bed.

From a diet point of view my top tip is eating early but also identify what foods are worst. In my case the worst is processed tomato sauce either in pasta or pizza combined with high fat cheese and/or ice cream. This is the worst.

I've actually found that moving pizza and pasta with tomato sauce to lunchtime only options made a big difference.

Also as a detox follow the FODMAP diet for a few months. An excellent diet for intolerances in case some of the acidity is caused by this.

If i mess up and have something that is likely to cause acid, I'd also recommend staying up an extra hour to pre-empt although this is just damage limitation.

Also, things like stress can increase the acid so be aware when you are stressed and be extra careful then.

Thread Information