Thread: Always see your Doctor if you get new symptoms

Always see your Doctor if you get new symptoms

Hi. I have struggled with depression and anxiety for most of my life so I am used to the various unpleasant 'digestive' symptoms panic and anxiety can cause. I've had them all.
    Then I started losing weight. I put it down to stopping Dosulepin after many years. I started getting odd indigestion, bloating, much belching and intermittent right-sided pains. I was reassured at first that I was swallowing air as a nervous habit and had trapped wind. Worried sick but only anxiety. Isn't it?

Eventually I saw my GP, hoping for some help with the increasing anxiety, and of course, some reassurance.
    He pointed out it was possible to have more than one thing wrong with you at a time and ordered a range of blood tests and an abdominal ultrasound scan.

Good call. I have multiple gallstones. The belching, indigestion and right-side pain are all symptoms. The pain is biliary colic. I still have all the other gut nasties that anxiety brings.
    Tomorrow I am seeing a consultant. No idea what will happen next. Scared stiff, but the gallstones won't go away on their own.
    But the important moral of the story is Get New Symptoms Checked.

Re: Always see your Doctor if you get new symptoms

Agree although no harm asking if they are common anxiety symptoms.

I once had a doctor tell me a painful throat I had was anxiety. He didn't even look down it. Turned out it was a prescription antihistamine he himself had prescribed that caused the pain. In many cases worth looking at things from mental and physical angle and if a problem persists get it checked by a doctor.

This is a really hard one. If I went to the doctor for every new symptom, I could never leave the office. The problem with hypochondria is that people interpret every twinge as something sinister and normal things as pathological.

I think the best rule of thumb is to give it time to sort out.

Quote Originally Posted by NervUs View Post
    I think the best rule of thumb is to give it time to sort out.
    I disagree with the OP and agree with this statement. Having and having had several serious real physical issues, when you're really hurting, there's no questioning whether to go to the doctor. Otherwise, as stated, give it a couple of weeks to sort itself out, if it doesn't then yes, get checked out.

99% of the fears and worries here are unfounded but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 19-07-18 at 00:32.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I agree with FISHMANPA. I typically give it two week to sort itself out, unless I am in real pain then I go to my doctor asap. Typically I have the two week rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethansmom View Post
    I agree with FISHMANPA. I typically give it two week to sort itself out, unless I am in real pain then I go to my doctor asap. Typically I have the two week rule.
    I usually operate under the 2 week rule as well, unless the symptom is particularly unusual - and that will vary based on the individual.

Yesterday was fun - I had horrid nerve pain like tooth ache in my head, jaw, right arm, and chest. Worse when i went near cold air. Would have freaked me out except I know from past experience i sometimes get this when i take diazepam.

Anyway i took some paracetamol for the pain and the nerve pain took about 10 minutes to subside. Today I still have remnants of the nerve pain but nothing too serious. I'll give diazepam a miss for a bit.

I agree about giving it a couple of weeks or so. I was abroad when my new symptoms started, back in December. I was certain at first it was 'just' anxiety so gave myself a couple of weeks to sort my self out when I finally got home.
    I saw a consultant (surgeon) yesterday & am having gallbladder removed. But my symptoms are still not fully explained by anxiety and gallstones so I am also having an exploratory stomach endoscopy.
    So now as well as terror of my first general anaesthetic & operation I am dreading the news I'll wake up to.
    I don'the cope well with seeing even my usual GP. I'd rather run a mile naked through nettles than get involved with the medical profession. But the fact is it won't go away by itself. It will get worse the longer I leave it.
    So hello again sleepless nights, pacing, panicking and trying to remember how to breathe.
    This is me 'being brave'. Ha Ha! If only....

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
    I agree about giving it a couple of weeks or so. I was abroad when my new symptoms started, back in December. I was certain at first it was 'just' anxiety so gave myself a couple of weeks to sort my self out when I finally got home.
    I saw a consultant (surgeon) yesterday & am having gallbladder removed. But my symptoms are still not fully explained by anxiety and gallstones so I am also having an exploratory stomach endoscopy.
    So now as well as terror of my first general anaesthetic & operation I am dreading the news I'll wake up to.
    I don'the cope well with seeing even my usual GP. I'd rather run a mile naked through nettles than get involved with the medical profession. But the fact is it won't go away by itself. It will get worse the longer I leave it.
    So hello again sleepless nights, pacing, panicking and trying to remember how to breathe.
    This is me 'being brave'. Ha Ha! If only....
    Good luck Deep Blue! Hang in there.

It's probably a good idea to see a Doctor about new, persistent symptoms.

If I went to the Doctor with every new symptom back when I had health anxiety I would have been there at least twice a week, for a year or two.

Thread Information