Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exercise & Anxiety

Exercise & Anxiety

In people's experience, does exercise tend to increase anxiety levels or really help. How much of it should one do and could over doing it make matters worse. I'm training for a half marthon at the moment and I'm going through quite a bad patch but I'm wondering if the running is just going to aggravate things furhter. Do people have advice? Thanks.

Tulip

Re: Exercise & Anxiety

Hi, in my experience exercise really helps. However, when the body is exhausted by anxiety and/or depression, too much of it wears me out.

Hello Tulip !
    Everything in moderation - I've been doing pilates and it really helps. Its gentle and it a good all over body workout - everyone works to their own limit and ability.
    Be kind to yourself

Well I'm finding that in some ways it does and in some ways it doesn't.
    I'm fine when I'm doing it - burning of adrenalin - but running produces adrenalin and I find I might have too much later on. Is that true for some people.

Tulip

Probably my biggest PA ever happened when out for a run. I've also had other times when my anxiety increased after exercise, but then I've also had months when I could do weights and feel fine. So I can't give any advice other than probably start out very easy and for a short time and work up.

I find hot weather tends to make me feel worse, perhaps stick to the evenings?

I've read so many times that exercise is good for relieving anxiety but I haven't found it's worked that way for me.

I bought myself a treadmill last October, not particularly for relieving my anxiety, but mainly to get a bit fitter and to hopefully build up my bone density.

I was up to doing 5 miles a day 7 days a week until the Spring when the warmer weather started to make me feel too hot and bothered doing it. I am now only doing 3 miles a day and I actually do them a mile at a time spread throughout the day as the weather is too hot for my liking.

I have found that if I spend too much time on the treadmill that I do make myself more anxious as I relate the feelings of being hot and bothered with being anxious

When I run, I do it as soon as I get up to shake off those morning blues. Yesterday I ran 6 miles and felt fine while I ws running but afterwards achieved high anxiety levels and didn't feel so good. Hence my question. I have been building up for several weeks now. I thinl I'll take it easy today.

Tulip

I find that overall it definitely helps. I also find that it can raise my adrenaline levels at the time but that, overall, the anxiety is eliminated.

I found that a major factor is my thoughts at the time. If I start thinking, "am I overdoing it?", "what are these pains?" etc. etc. etc. then the anxiety kicks in.
    Do you start thinking about these things when you are running or just after you stop running?

All studies and books that I have seen though all strongly suggest an exercise regime.

Are you taking in good nutrition and getting good sleep? These may be factors. Exercise is good but it does place more demands on the body and so we need to make sure that we are giving it the necessary food and recuperation.

Stick with it but maybe look at a more varied regime with rest days included as one option and see how that goes?

Cheers,
    Trev

If truth be told. I don't have anxiety whilst doing exercise - that's why I'm doing it. It's a real escape no doubt about that. I tend to run every other day - And ride my bicycle in between which is a lot lighter. I think I over did it on Monday so anxiety levels are up. Thanks for your advice.

Hi

Since i started exersice i have made excellent progress, im sure its been one of the best things i have ever done to help with the anxiety.

Love

Andrea
    xxxxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information