Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: its back - reassurance needed please

Angry its back - reassurance needed please

Hi all
    Its been well over a year since I last posted here and I thought I was over everything. However following a couple of stressfull weeks at work the anxiety has reared its ugly head again with different symmptoms this time. I didn't think it was going to be as bad this time because I knew what it was, but I'm starting to worry again and lose the positive thoughts. I hope you can give me some reassurance and advice on th following
    * Insomnia (didn't happen last time). I don't sleep for one night, the next night I do sleep. Doc has given me 2 weeks of 10mg amitriptyline, but I'm not sure about taking them - has anyone else used them for insomnia - did they work?
    *The nights I don't sleep, I'm usually starving by 4am, so get something to eat, then get in bed and doze/stew until 6ish. The problem is these nights I always wake with a sore tummy and diarhea. The nights I sleep, I don't. Do you think its because I'm eating or just because I've been awake all night?
    *I'm getting churning stomach quite badly this time - any tips on how to ease it? I'm struggling to eat in the mornings and getting very lightheaded which is making me worry more.
    How do I switch off the constant thinking? Last time I was at work and so my moind was occupied most of the day, now I'm on school holidays and sat around on my own all day, brooding which I'm sure is making it worse!
    Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    Take care
    Helen

Re: its back - reassurance needed please

Oh helen i'm sorry to hear about your relapse,

I do have some nights of insomnia aswell and i know for a fact how frustrating they are, i wouldn't be too worried about the medication as you never know if you don't try. i wake up every morning with a bad stomach so i just think that its because the nights you are up probably makes you worry more and your stomach can't get used to your body clock, you maybe hungry but normally you wouldn't eat at this time so thats probably the cause, in time that will stop.

everything will be fine helen, just keep your mind preoccupied, try tireing yourself out completely by reading or doing exercise before bed.

i hope you don't suffer too long as you know everything and you know that it can't hurt you. just keep going helen and i'm here if you just need to scream and shout.

hope you feel better

lots of luv
    sam
    xxxxx

AND YOU'LL HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE

p.s not too much though, be HAPPY

Thanks lots for your reply Sam, its made me feel loads better. After I posted I dusted off my Claire Weekes books and had a good read and feel a bit more positive. Hubbys back from work too so someone to talk to.
    Thanks again
    Love Helen

Hi giddy, I think you may be a teacher like me, suffering due to the down time in the school hols? I had been fairly ok mostly during term time, but now, with the days stretching out ahead of me (I have a to do list but that's different!) for me it's the fac tthat I'm on my own alot of the time.
    I have the sleep problems and churning stomach. For me, I know the sleep problems are because my panics come at night so I take sleeping tablets so I know I will get off to sleep and away from the panic.
    The churning stomach, I think it's the adrenalin excess caused by the anxiety. I'm still searching for something to calm that - and calm the general anxiety. I'm awlful because I panic about being sick, so then don't get much because I worry about being sick!
    I do have good intentions of getting out and doing things, to stop the constant thinking and to disperse the adrenalin. But it doesn't always happen. But i'm going to try and go swimming today, then into town as I need a new mobile!
    Hope you find some ways of starting to feel better.

Thanks for your reply skiteacher. Yeah, I am a teacher and being on my own a lot of the time definately isn't helping - too much time to think!
    I'm really unsure about taking the sleep medication, I don't like taking things and am worried that at the end of the 2 week prescription, I'll stop sleeping again and I don't want to have to take stuff indefinately. How often do you take sleeping pills? How long have you been taking them for? The doc has prescribed me an antidepressant for 2 weeks, not a sleeping pill. he said it will take the anxiety away so I should be able to sleep. Hope you had a good swim!
    Love Helen

Hi I'm on school holidays (I'm a teacher) at the moment and it's a killer. I also live on my own and tend to work myself up into a state about things. My sleep patterns tend to match yours as some nights I sleep and others I don't. I have had bouts of bad anxiety in the past (intrusive thoughts) and have been only been able to overcome them is by doing exactly the opposite to what my brain is telling me and giving myself a great big pat on the back. build that confidence. I'm suffering from bad anxiety and feel like cancelling the holidays away I have set myself. Underneath that is the worst I can do. School holidays bring out of routine experiences and makes it hard for those who have a set timetable and know what to expect. Although some parts of the day are much worse than others. If you need to talk there are plenty of people who know how you feel. PS: I'm also taking sleeping tablets at the moment.

Tulip (n.b During term time I tend to live my life through school. In the holidays I need to work out time for myself).
    Last edited by tulip123; 12-08-07 at 17:26.

I have been taking sleeping tablets, every night at the lowest dose for nearly a year - before that (when I had a boyf so wasn't always on my own) I only took them about 4 times a week. It is hard to stop taking them, mainly psychogically as I am so worried about having panic attacks - vicious circle. My doc did give me some anti-histimines - which make you drowsy and in some strange way also calm low level anxiety which I have taken instead of sleeping tablets a few times - but then I am so groggy I can't function the next day. And they don't work if the anxiety takes over. The main reason I take sleeping tablets is because of panicking about having a panic attack, sometimes becuase I have got so exahusted I need a good sleep to be able to cope with the next day. But mostly panicking about panicking.
    I don't know what i'm going to do to get off them, my doc keeps on at me to try, but to me, as I am still suffering from anxiety and panics, it's like taking off a plaster cast on a leg that's still broken.

I'm better today than I have been the last couple. Been getting myself out and about, doing exercise and went to a party last night and talked to a really nice guy for ages and felt really relaxed and happy, even felt fairly relaxed once I got home.
    So we'll see. Part of me wants it to be term time as I think I will be better once the routine of school starts, another part of me want it to be hols so I can do stuff and relax. But if i'm anxious - i'm not relaxing?!

Well watching ICe age 2 with my flatmate later, so that should be relaxing!

"So we'll see. Part of me wants it to be term time as I think I will be better once the routine of school starts, another part of me want it to be hols so I can do stuff and relax. But if i'm anxious - i'm not relaxing?!"

I can really relate to that bit. How long is your holidays. Mine is 6 weeks which is over a month.

Do you take sleeping pills in term times?

Its nice to think I'm not the only teacher suffering this.

Tulip

Tulip - I totally agree with what you said about intrusive thoughts - one of my main problems is negative, intrusive thoughts, they fly round my head all the time when I'm on my own. I'm trying hard to stop them and keeping busy - I've just started painting my stairs and am going to start my planning too. I'm primary and we're starting the new numeracy units, so working through those should help keep my mind occupied!! I'm also going out for a walk straight after breakfast and exercising in the afternoon and keeping positive!! My husband is off work next week, so I'm sure he'll keep me occupied! Its actually quite lonely in the holidays when friends and family all work. Don't cancel your holiday, you'll have a great time once you get there.

Skiteacher - glad you had a good night! My doctor didn't want me to have sleeping pills he prescribed me a sedative anti-depressant called amitriptyline. He said it would block the anxiety about not sleeping. Could you ask your doctor for something like this to help you stop the sleeping pills. The sleeping pills are helping you sleep, but not helping the anxiety. Apparently it is one of the milder anti-depressants for side effects etc (they give it to kids to help bed wetting). I've decided not to take them though until school starts again. If I'm still struggling with sleep then, then I will take them. Things have got a little better though, I'v slept 3 nights in a row now!!

Take care
    Love Helen

SNAP - I'm a primary teacher 2. I know about those new maths units. There is also a new English framework to attempt also. I've also 2 subjects to run. Every time I have a holiday I don't sleep and go down hill with anxiety because I get to bound up in school ethos and everything around it. It gets very obsessive especially when you worry about the children instead of yourself. Come the holidays it can be very hard especially if you live alone like me - the days can streach out. The sleeping pills ate helping. One holiday I went onto anti depressants and helped initially but after a year they did more harm then good. I am more twice the size I was.

Tulip

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information