Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: STILL MISSING BEATS.....PLEASE REASSURE ME

STILL MISSING BEATS.....PLEASE REASSURE ME

Hi everyone, HAPPY NEW YEAR,

Sorry not visited for ages, been busy with xmas, work etc...

I am still experiencing these missing/extra beats and they are still bothering me as much as before. I keep trying to see if there is a pattern to them ie time of the month, but I can't say there is. They appear when I feel calm for apparently no reason, I can have them when I'm just washing up or any other time when you think they are not around. I feel a thud or fluttering sensations in my chest, then I feel my pulse and usually find a period of missing beats or extra beats, whatever they are[?] I have got an appointment with a counsillor next week and it is one of my new year resolutions to overcome the fear of these, but I have to admit I am still scared that they are something else and not just brought on by anxiety because I get them when I'm not anxious. I am so fed up with being ruled by them.

Please help and advise. Thankyou,

Linjane

hello Linjane,

In my emperience, palpitations or missing heartbeats occur because you are thinking about them even though you don't realise that you are. As you say, they are ruling your life which means that the thought of them occuring is always on your subconscious. I used to be really paranoid about them but suddenly just forgot about them with the help of meds and counselling. I'm sure that your counsellor with help you with this matter. Good luck!! The trick is telling your mind that there is nothing to worry about and actually believing it.

Sarah

Hi Jane. I think what u r feeling is mormal, I am the same worry worry worry, and years later now i know it hasnt harmed me i still worry lol. Waht we are realy feeling is just our body working as it should, but none anxious peole dont notice it. If u r over worried why not ask Doc for some heart tests then u will know u r worrying for nothing? Take care. Vernon

Linjane

Try this link ...
    http://www.chclibrary.org/micromed/00038900.html

Nicola

Hi again Linjane,

Still worrying about it eh? As I said in an earlier post, what you're experiencing is the same as me, I have a really fast heart beat, thats as well as the missed/extra beats.
    It still worries me a lot, but I'm learning to live with it. Have you asked your doctor for beta-blockers yet? If your doc is still being funny with you, go and see a different doctor.
    If they won't send you for heart tests, why not consider going private, it will reassure you somewhat, to know your heart is healthy. Thats if you can afford it, and dependant on how much its ruling your life.
    I'm sure a decent doctor would send you for tests on the NHS Linjane.
    Keep pestering till you get the results you want.
    I really think this is the only way to ease your mind, as you've posted about this a few times now. I think you need to see on paper that your heart is fine till you believe it. Let me know how you get on.
    Take care.
    Shell.x

Hi Shell, Thanks for replying
    I think I have put this in previous posts, but I have had heart tests, about two years ago, not long after I started having symptons which was after I had lost my baby. I had an ecg which was fine and then I had a 24hr tape attached which just showed isolated ectopic heartbeats. I was not asked to be seen again by the hospital. I know the theory about seeing on paper that I am ok should work, but I can't understand why I still have these symptons, sometimes for no apparent reason! I went to see my counsellor yesterday for my first session which didn't go quite to plan as my three year old wasn't well so he had to come with me, so he said my proper 'therapy' will start next time, but in the meantime I have to start talking about these symptons so much! He said he didn't mean to be cruel, but he knows they are not serious so I have to start learning to accept it. I have to admit I find it hard and perhaps because it was over two years since I had the tests i keep thinking perhaps it has got worse, because it doesn't seem right that I have these symptons nearly everyday, on and off. Also, to add to everything else, my aunt died suddenly on Sunday, she was 73 but had not really been ill and it has been a bit of a shock, but I haven't had 'extra' symptons because of this, just the same.

Sorry to keep going on but i seem to constantly need reassurance.
    <b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi again Linjane
    Still worrying about it eh? As I said in an earlier post, what you're experiencing is the same as me, I have a really fast heart beat, thats as well as the missed/extra beats.
    It still worries me a lot, but I'm learning to live with it. Have you asked your doctor for beta-blockers yet? If your doc is still being funny with you, go and see a different doctor.
    If they won't send you for heart tests, why not consider going private, it will reassure you somewhat, to know your heart is healthy. Thats if you can afford it, and dependant on how much its ruling your life.
    I'm sure a decent doctor would send you for tests on the NHS Linjane.
    Keep pestering till you get the results you want.
    I really think this is the only way to ease your mind, as you've posted about this a few times now. I think you need to see on paper that your heart is fine till you believe it. Let me know how you get on.
    Take care.
    Shell.x

<div align="right">Originally posted by Cookie - 11 January 2005 : 13:43:35</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Hi Lin Jane

I am also of the opinion that you are fine and are just having isolated ectopics. However as its been 2 years you could go back and ask for a new ECG and get it compared to the previous one.

There are many non dangerous reasons why people get ectopics.
    Interestingly you mention that you get them washing up - a reasonably sedentary task often when your thoughts can wander and its very easy to recognise that your heart beat has changed in rhythm as it will when you've not long eaten and then you jolt yourself into being concerned about this which trickles out adrenalin and cortisol which again changes your heart rate and leads you to believe that you are in a wierd rhythm when in reality its just settling down...

Meg
    www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Hi Linjane,

Sorry to hear about your Aunt.
    Personally, I'd go back to the doctors and ask for my tests to be repeated. Then if they come back ok, you'll have to start accepting that you're heart is fine, its just got a funny rhythm now and again, but it can't harm you.
    Easier said than done I know, but if you're tests come back fine, you've gotta stop letting this control your life. I let it take over my every waking thoughts for months and it just made my panic attacks ten times worse.
    I'm nowhere near better yet, but I'm a helluva lot better than I was. Beta-blockers will really help you I think, thats what has finally calmed me down. As well as having tests done. Its taken me a good couple of months on the tablets before it all started calming down, but thankfully it has. And that has gave me the respite I need to start to convince my head that everything's fine.
    So now when I get a thud or a missed beat, I don't panic half as much. It doesn't make it go away, but I react to it differently now, because I know its not going to harm me/kill me.

Also, some practical advice, cut out any stimulants from your diet/lifestyle. IE- coffee, tea, alcohol, cigarettes(if you smoke). I quit smoking in october and I think its made a difference. I drink decaff too and drink alcohol very rarely.

I know its hard to cope with, because it is so frightening. But you've got to take control of this, don't let it drag you down.
    See your doctor and ask if you can have more tests done. And really pester for some beta-blockers as I think they may help to give you some relief from it all.

Shelley.x

Hi Linjane
    I've suffered with an ectopic heartbeat for years. Started when i was young and still living at home (i'm 36 now). Although it is fairly normal it still doesn't help matters when you experience them. I'm like you think i'm perfectly stress free and then they appear and you start worrying all over again which then bring on other symptoms AARRGGHHH lol. Least you know you're not alone
    Take care
    Tracy
    xxx

Hello

I'm a new poster - Fraser, a 44-year old man from London. But missed heartbeats are an old problem of mine.

They first materialised about ten years ago - when they inevitably triggered full-blown panic attacks, complete with high-pulse rates, a huge rush of blood on the missed beat and a couple of rushes to hospital for reassurance!

These days I still get them - and like you, am struggling to understand why. For me they seem more noticeable shortly after eating, or when very, very hungry - but I suspect this is because I am more focused on my digestion at that time, and therefore aware of abdominal and chest sensations.

I also wonder if they occur when a person is under stress - even if they're not consciously focusing on the fact.

They're back right now, with a veangance, and I find it hard to take them in my stride. Yesterday in an office they were very bad and I sort-of bolted for home. Bad boy, because I know 'running' and 'avoidance' is fatal.

Funnily enough, I find that they seem to disappear if I exercise quite hard when relaxed... and for me they occur in the 70 -90 beats per minute range, but rarely at higher speeds.

So no real miracle advice, only to reassure you that there are a lot of us out here... even in the UK

Take care

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information