Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short of breath

Unhappy Short of breath

Constantly short of breath. I've had tests, a couple of years ago, that said my lungs and heart were fine. Things seem to be going from bad to worse though and it seems i'm constantly struggling to get a full breath in. I now take taxis most places i go to because of this and feeling panicky on public transport. Is this a normal sign of anxiety? i know a lot of people have 'breathless' moments but this is from the minute i wake up until i eventually fall asleep which is usually around 20 hours later. Anyone else have this symptom?

Re: Short of breath

Being short of breath is a VERY common side effect of anxiety. It feels like you can't get enough air in. I had it all the time a few years ago. It is usually due to muscle tension (whether you feel it or not). Try doing some stretches that stretch the chest muscles when you feel like this. It should give you some relief.

Thanks for replying PP. I know breathlessness is a common symptom, it's just that this is constant now. I've had breathless moments a lot in the last few years but this has been getting steadily worse until i'm now at this stage. I thought at first it was maybe the start of agoraphobia but it's even when i'm sitting at home now too.

Just had to reply to this one -
    I know how you feel - I never used to have this as an anxiety symptom, but I have of late.
    I yawn, sigh, gulp for air, have my jaw dropped open like a goldfish, feel like I can't fill my lungs etc This can happen for days at a time then abait and then come back.
    Recent blood tests say my Iron levels are fine so I guess I just have to accept that it is anxiety in another guise!!
    You know I have said it before and will say it again - Acceptance is the key. If you have been assured that you are ok by your doc. then acceptance takes the fear away.
    It can be so hard to accept but I am proof that it works. I am obviously still anxious at times ( infact I have just sighed very heavily typing this!_ ) But, it doesn't have a strong hold on me anymore. I can live life and just accept Mr Anxiety accompanies me sometimes.
    Love Dawn x
    PS Hope you are reassured by the fact that others also have your horrible symptoms?
    'Hold me close, let Your love surround me, bring me near, draw me to Your side; And as I wait, I'll rise up like the eagle, and I will soar with You; Your spirit leads me on, In the power of Your Love.'

Thanks Dawn, yeah it does help. A bit

Hi
    I can relate to what you are saying, I've struggled with breathing problems for years. I've had breathing retraining but my hyperventilation problem is habitual so I can't see a way out of it at the moment.

I would recommend a good book for you to read, it's brilliant, it's by Dinah Bradley and called Hyperventilation Syndrome, read it!

HTH

YES Brizo, I can totally relate.
    I had this problem for something like two years, up until about 6 months ago in fact. I even had a huge panic attack on a bus because I couldnt breathe. I made the driver let me off near the hospital and just sat on the front fence for an hour or 2 (felt a bit better - I guess i figured that someone would find me there if I did collapse!)
    Anyway eventually I found that breathing out all the way helped alleviate the symptoms - push all the air totally out of your lungs slowly.
    Also this site really helped - its about dearousal through hyperventilation control.

http://www.healthinsite.gov.au/conte...5383032BFA006D

P.S Good luck - and (easier said than done) ignore it - it WILL GO away.

Thanks Delta, i'll get that book ASAP. It really does help a bit that others have the same symptoms. I'm sure i'm not alone in thinking that the doctors missed something, no matter how many check-ups we have had, and this helps alleviate it. Somewhat, not all the way, but somewhat.

Thanks Skitty will check it out now, link is much appreciated

Bri

Link doesn't seem to be working Skitty

Thanks anyway.

Bri

Have you had your blood sugar checked lately? Breathlessness can be one of the symptoms of undiagnosed diabetes. It only takes a minute or two to check blood sugar levels.

Kay x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information