Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing Citalopram Brands

Changing Citalopram Brands

Hi All

I've been taking Citalopram for 2 months. For the first two weeks I had some side effects, but overall I've felt much better about myself - in fact better than I've felt in years! I can't remember the last time I liked myself! But these tablets have been amazing.

Anyway, I went back to the Dr last week for checkup and she gave me another prescription for the same dosage (20mg) of Citalopram. I didn't take the prescription to my normal pharmacist and the one I went to gave me a different brand, but still 20mg Citalopram.

I've been taking these new brand ones for a couple of days and feel terrible. I've been sick, I have diarohea (sorry, bit graphic!) and when I'm not having those side effects I just feel nauseus. I didn't get these side effects when I first started taking Citalopram on the first brand...Has anyone else experienced this type of reaction to changing brands of the same medication, or is this something I should go back to my GP about?

Petal x

Hi Petal,

Citalopram was orginally made by Lundbeck and called Cipramil.

Its now off patent so can be produced by anyone but is being produced mainly for theUK by Generics, Niche, Novartis/Sandoz and Sterwin which will be much cheaper than the Lundbeck version.

I strongly suggest you firstly return to the chemist where you got them and report it to them and see if they will change it ( unlikely) and then also to your GP who both should fill in a yellow card adverse effects from the back of the BNF .

Ask your GP to prescribe by brand next time.

Meg
    www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Hi petal

I took citalopram once but it disagreed with me so much i went back to the doc and she told me not to take them anymore. I didn't experience the same effects as you but i had a panic attack that was just so much more awful than they usually are, i felt like i was away with the fairies for about 7 hours and stayed up all night with it, not nice.

i'm pretty sure the one i took was called cipramil, i don't know if this is the same one that gave you side effects but if it is, maybe the side effects are quite common and expected with them.

Hope this helps a bit,

Lucy
    xxx

Hi Meg and Lucy

Thanks for your advice. I have felt much better today so maybe the side effects are over. Although I've just taken my next dose so if the side effects come back tonight or tomorrow I think I will do as you said and go back to the Dr's.

Thank you so much, it's so nice to be able to talk to people who know what the medication is like. I haven't told my family that I'm on anti depressants as I don't want to worry them which makes talking about it difficult. I have told my close friends though who are great but, they all think that anti depressants are bad and I should get off them asap. They don't understand that they actually make me feel better! What is so bad about that?

Take care,
    Petal x

Petal

There are still stigmas related to anti-depressants. Mainly cos people don't understand them and assume that you must be depressed to be on them. They are prescribed for so many other problems as well - I was prescribed them about 3 years ago for sleep problems but I only took them 2 weeks cos they made me worse.

Some of my friends and even some of the family don't know that I was ever on them (over 6 years ago now).

If they help then stick on them till you feel ready to move on without them.

Nicola

hi petal, glad i seen your post I had there same thing happen a few years ago. I was prescribed Clomipramine brnd Anafranil and took these for a long time. then once i went to a different chemist and was given the same Clonipramine but a differen brand, and felt realy bad within a week. I took them back to chemist and asked if they could give me the other brand they said they was same meds but different maker and should do same. I went back to my doctor told her and she said same as chemist they are the same, but gave me a new prescription snf i went to the chemist i knew with the anafranil brand i was using origionaly. So, in my opinion like you the different brand did make me feel bad. Best u can do is ask for the brand you want or take prescription to another chemist. Take care Vernon

I have been prescribed antidepressants for depression - but what I can't make my friends understand is that it's like head and shoulders shampoo for dandruff - if I take the chill pills I'm not depressed!!

Thanks for your post Vernon, I think I will go back to the Dr's this week and get another prescription. Only prob is I'm not sure exactly what the first brand was called... I know it was in a green and white packet but that prob won't help much! Hmmm...

Take care,
    Petal x

hi petal, if u go to the same chemist you got the first meds from they will have all your details and meds they gave you on there computer. Take Care Vernon

Hi Petal,

I've had the same happen to me.
    Originally i was taking cipramil the brand make, then the one which i think you want to go back on which was the Sandoz (green and white packet) make of citalopram, i've just been to the chemist and opened the packet to find i've been given yet another generic make by Generics(uk)Limited, not taken those yet so i'm sure i'll find out if there's a difference from generic to generic lol.

Good luck with getting back on your old ones.

Hi

I was gonna post about this today then saw this post!

I went to a different chemist for my citalopram and was given a different brand. I have taken for a few days and have noticed i feel really panicky again and light headed.

Wondered if it was because of the change of brand, or simply just my anxiety. I have been feeling fine since being on the meds so do think its cause of the brand change.

maybe i should ask for gp for another script, or shall i stick with it for few more days and see what happens

x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information