Thread: Hyper awareness... is it real?

Hyper awareness... is it real?

I have been suffering with HA on and off for approx 10 years... since the birth of my second child. If I have no symptoms, I am generally fine. But if any kind of pain occurs and doesn't shift promptly, then I am unable to switch off from the sensations.

From the moment I wake up until I go to sleep, I can feel the pains. Now, is this real pain or is it because I have focused on it so intensely, that I am making it worse?? I can wake up in the morning and don't feel pain, but BANG as soon as I am properly conscious, the pains start to creep in.

I feel as if I have certainly done this in the past. eg, as soon as I have had good results from the docs, the pain immediately goes.

I am truly hoping that I have 'hyper awareness' right now as the pain in my lower abdo is not good.

I am really fed up and just wish that I could get over this bout of anxiety. I am feeling a trip to the docs is on the cards tomorrow... AGAIN

Does anyone else experience this or believe in it???

XX

Re: Hyper awareness... is it real?

I think you've been on the boards long enough to know the answer to that question

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Yes, it's true... but I can't help but question it. How can the pain feel so real if there is not a problem... Just trying to get my head around it.
    x

It's because anxiety makes you notice things more; it can even make you interpret perfectly normal bodily sensations as pain.

I'm having the same thing, fixated on pelvic pain which only started after I started worrying about certain female things. I looked back on my old posts and realised I've had this with other body areas, head, heart you name it. All faded when I started worrying over something else! Don't worry, it's an anxiety thing. I remember reading a book saying to concentrate on your index finger for 5 minutes. You'll surely feel some kind of sensation there after a while, our brains are very powerful! X

Hyper awareness (or hyper focusing as I call it) is definitely real.

For example:

BT fear had been under control for a couple of months, but this week I relapsed. I started focusing on the natural blind spot one has in their eyes. I then thought mine was more pronounced in the left eye. I even sat today in work, moving my head back and forwards to a computer screen to do this online "test". A colleague walked in on me doing it (HAHA!) but they even said it before I did: "Oh the brain tumour fear is back?"

How pathetically embarrassing.

Nevertheless, had a relapse and went to opticians tonight. Nothing is wrong with my eyes, or my vision.

Funnily enough, my eyes are back to "normal" now.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

Thread Information