Page 227 of 229 FirstFirst ... 127177217225226227228229 LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,270 of 2281

Thread: Today’s headlines .........

Re: Today’s headlines .........

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    I have a busted up door. I emailed my housing officer to report on it, but he never responded.

The only way I can relocate quickly is by a flat exchange. Placing bids takes forever. They never even provide any indication of how long you'll be waiting for the call. They only gave me this flat to begin with, by putting me on homeless priority.

I wasn't technically homeless either. Before 2017, I was staying with my family. But it helped me to get a flat quickly. I was only bidding for a year with that rule, but the housing situation in Edinburgh is bad.
    Wasn't it the police that did that and not those two nutjobs in your block who have just been arrested?

If the former then how is it in any way relevant to 'Today's headlines'?

No. My door getting messed up was not related to those psychopaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    No. My door getting messed up was not related to those psychopaths.
    Sorry to sound rude and dismissive but are your personal housing-related issues really relevant to this particular thread?

Is Patriotism Flagging?...

For some, the standard response might well be “What’s patriotism?”...

Keir Starmer has written to all of Labour’s general election candidates urging them to mark St George’s Day “with enthusiasm” and to “fly the flag” across the country as he attempts to outmanoeuvre the Tories on national identity.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...st-georges-day

However, Starmer told the candidates that “real patriotism” was not just about respecting shared “symbols and sentiments”, but also about serving the country, whether that was through the armed forces, the NHS or as politicians.

Is this the new version of that old game known as political football, where each side pretends it’s showing its true colours when it comes to representing the nation? Hmmm, I get the uneasy feeling that if I were to vote for any of these patriotic parties, I’d come to the depressing conclusion, sooner or later, that it served me right....

PS: ‘Starmer’s shadow cabinet will gather “deep in the English countryside” on Monday for a primarily symbolic meeting at which he will argue that patriotism is a force for good, including in breeding the next generation of sporting talent.’...

No doubt this will be the first and last time Sir Keir will do this, as he’s vowed to thee my countryside to bulldoze it in the name of progress.... And I’m altogether unsure of that ‘... in breeding the next generation of sporting talent.’... Sounds a bit, y’know, eugenicist to me....

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    It Might As Well Rain Until September (again) ....

Weather forecasters are a bunch of folks talking wet.... Well they are just lately!...

Experts blame warm seas making clouds hold more rain, and jet stream winds bringing wet conditions further south than normal.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/lat...ecast-32625642

Once upon a time there was never any mention of the jet stream or any other meteorological malarkey in popular weather predicting. There was just the deadly serious BBC weatherman Bert Foord (never a smile nor a merry quip) standing in front of a small silhouette of Britain, moving a few magnetic weather symbols around – a cloud here, a sunshine there, maybe the odd snowflake occasionally. Why did it all have to become so technical? Do we really need to know that a diffuse high pressure system is developing in the Balearics which could lead to a temperature inversion and negative tilt before cyclonic conditions develop in the Azores...? I ask you, what’s wrong with a strand of seaweed and a fircone hanging outside your backdoor? Anyway, the weather’s the weather, and there’s Rockall we can do about it!
    God, how on earth do they know all that, especially this far ahead of September?

Also we never used to hear about pollen counts all year round like we seem too now.

My dad reckons the latter is largely down to advanced technologies for surveillance of such things over more recent times, unlike pre-21st Century we were probably far less aware of things like pollen counts.

Anyway, I would have assumed that the former article you have linked to the Daily Star would have usually been more typical of the Daily Express, who have for years now had a habit of crying wolf over the likes of biggest heatwaves or Beasts from the East, etc, since (insert year), which in most instances never seem to materialise.

In fact, it wouldn't even surprise me in the slightest if a lot of those who revel in such stories the Daily Express love to spew out about extreme weather forecasts are also blatant climate change deniers at the very same time.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 22-04-24 at 18:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post

... I would have assumed that the former article you have linked to the Daily Star would have usually been more typical of the Daily Express, who have for years now had a habit of crying wolf over the likes of biggest heatwaves or Beasts from the East, etc, since (insert year), which in most instances never seem to materialise.

In fact, it wouldn't even surprise me in the slightest if a lot of those who revel in such stories the Daily Express love to spew out about extreme weather forecasts are also blatant climate change deniers at the very same time.
    Ah, Lencoboy, you still don’t seem to have twigged that all purveyors of ‘news’ are quite capable of cooking up and turning out tripe. The Express, Mail and Sun don’t have the monopoly and there’s seemingly not enough tripe to go round. Which is why you’ll find the same tripe regurgitated ad nauseam by the BBC, Sky, Guardian, Mirror, ITV, Channel Four etcetera; the only difference might be in the way it’s dished up. Personally, I prefer my tripe raw; but these days it’s almost impossible to find any that hasn’t been mucked about with by a reporter, rehashed and reheated by a sub-editor and finally deemed fit for public consumption by an editor-in-chief, even though it’s obviously either half-baked or overdone... and shouldn't really be swallowed by anyone....

Ah, Lencoboy, you still don’t seem to have twigged that all purveyors of ‘news’ are quite capable of cooking up and turning out tripe. The Express, Mail and Sun don’t have the monopoly and there’s seemingly not enough tripe to go round. Which is why you’ll find the same tripe regurgitated ad nauseam by the BBC, Sky, Guardian, Mirror, ITV, Channel Four etcetera; the only difference might be in the way it’s dished up. Personally, I prefer my tripe raw; but these days it’s almost impossible to find any that hasn’t been mucked about with by a reporter, rehashed and reheated by a sub-editor and finally deemed fit for public consumption by an editor-in-chief, even though it’s obviously either half-baked or overdone... and shouldn't really be swallowed by anyone....
    I don't think you're wrong TBH.

Following more recent observation, I think pretty much all media outlets are at it with sensationalism and hyping things up these days, including even the more historically reputable ones.

In fact, even the BBC, whom I previously regarded as the 'gold standard' of news-related stuff seem to be a pale shadow of their former selves of late and also appear to be just 'going through the motions' and trying to keep up with the Joneses.

But generally speaking I think they all seem to be out to outdo each other right now.

Sometimes I just yearn for the pre-90s when less was truly more, media-wise.

It’s Just Another Age-Old Question....

Should folks ever be referred to as ‘old’ and if so, how many years older than you do they have to be?

A new study published by the American Psychological Association has revealed that middle-aged and older adults believe that old age begins later in life than their peers did decades ago.

https://metro.co.uk/2024/04/22/good-...ry_tech_item-2

I reckon you’d be on reasonably safe ground referring to that biblical bloke Methuselah as ‘old’.... he was 969 when he died (even though he probably lied about his age, subtracting one or two years, everybody knew he’d been using the Grecian 2000 for centuries...).

PS: Yesterday I saw a harassed mother chastising her son who was whining for “some candy” at the supermarket checkout. “No you can’t have any candy, you’re not American!” she exclaimed exasperatedly, at which he started grizzling. “Oh for goodness sake, act your age!” she snapped... He was about four or five.... Ah well, it provided me with a moment’s amusement on an otherwise miserable Monday morning.

It Might As Well Rain Until September (again) ....

Weather forecasters are a bunch of folks talking wet.... Well they are just lately!...

Experts blame warm seas making clouds hold more rain, and jet stream winds bringing wet conditions further south than normal.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/lat...ecast-32625642

Once upon a time there was never any mention of the jet stream or any other meteorological malarkey in popular weather predicting. There was just the deadly serious BBC weatherman Bert Foord (never a smile nor a merry quip) standing in front of a small silhouette of Britain, moving a few magnetic weather symbols around – a cloud here, a sunshine there, maybe the odd snowflake occasionally. Why did it all have to become so technical? Do we really need to know that a diffuse high pressure system is developing in the Balearics which could lead to a temperature inversion and negative tilt before cyclonic conditions develop in the Azores...? I ask you, what’s wrong with a strand of seaweed and a fircone hanging outside your backdoor? Anyway, the weather’s the weather, and there’s Rockall we can do about it!
    I vaguely recall the weather back in April 1994 being very similar to now, but don't remember folks making that big a deal over it at the time.

Mind you, this was only just a few short years before the Internet became mainstream and holidays abroad truly became de rigueur, especially multiple times per year, unlike back then when it was probably once every 3-4 years on average (or perhaps even 2 years at a push) for most people, and the rest of the time still just made do with what we now refer to as 'staycations'.

Oughtn’t This Be Looked Into?...

What does having a diagnosis of autism really mean, and why would you want it?

People on the waiting list report they want a formal diagnosis of ADHD or autism; they just want to know. However, reports say they are not looking for medical treatment, be it prescriptions or talking therapies; they’re looking for “validation and recognition”.

https://dailysceptic.org/2024/04/27/...sis-of-autism/

There’s a test – I scored 37…. Oh dear! I’m with that Søren Kierkegaard bloke’s thoughts on this… “Once you label me, you negate me.”

Page 227 of 229 FirstFirst ... 127177217225226227228229 LastLast

Thread Information