Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Suicide?

Re: Suicide?

But accepting our feelings are part of our recovery. When you fight something it fights back.

For example: I am having suicidal thoughts. OK, this doesnt mean I am going to do anything. If I accept these thoughts for what they are and try to find something else to do like read a self help book (The Feeling Good Handbook by David D Burns M.D. is my bible, it covers pretty much everything). Or going for a walk or doing some kind of distraction or deep breathing exercise. (The Benson Method is good try googling it). Acceptance is part of the recovery process. We cannot be in total control of our feelings and emotions all the time.

I'm not sure were I read this exactly but I somewere I heard that when a person takes his own life it does nothing to stop how awful they are feeling in fact the pain is just simply taken with you into the next life. sure I feel pretty lousy right now but the thought that if I were to end my own life I'd be stuck with those dreadful feelings forever is plenty to put me off taking my own suicide.

I have had several (hundred maybe thousand) suicidal thoughts throughout my life. I was only diagnosed with panic disorder a couple of weeks ago so I know i can't blame that. My sons have been my reason (I think) for not carrying out the act. I say ( I think ) because I have always been forced to consider the implications of the act on my family. Before my sons were born I used to think about my mum and how she would feel. Maybe for me the fear Sam was talking about is the guilty feelings I get. I truly believe my suicidal feelings are a cry for help. Trouble is, whenever I have asked I have not received. Got to keep moving on I guess. Maybe one day it will get me. But, maybe one day I will get the help I need. Who Knows?????

Hi SamTheMan, and all others that have replied. I can only relate personal experience.

This time last year it seemed like an easy way out. So much so, that I looked up in medical books the amount of meds needed to OD for my body mass, and had enough with a few thrown in on top.

I didn't tell a sole, and I did plan it out. I believe that put me in the "serious about doing it" catagory. Why didn't I do it ? Basically because of my other half and my little girl. Its the utmost selfish thing you can do to those around you.

I've been introverted, insular and self absorbed for over a year. Thing is, my bad thoughts only lasted for 2 weeks (shame the anxiety didn't follow them through the door) and if I had acted on them then I wouldn't be typing now.

I plan to get better. Moreover, I will get better. The lows can be a real kick in the teeth, but *everyone* has something to contribute. Don't ever think your life worthless - it just isn't true.

While intrusive thoughts are unwelcome, they don't last forever.

Krakers.

hi there
    its difficult when people call it selfish. My dad did it 2 years ago and left me like this...so perhaps that was selfish. But I also feel he was running away. But it was nothing that couldnt have been helped with...thats the worst thing...get help before ever considering this

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information