Thread: My health anxiety is not just about me

My health anxiety is not just about me

I am neorotic about my own health, but I am also neurotic about my partner's health - as I was about my parents' health before they died.

My partner rang me at work today to tell me he had a throbbing headache and had been sick. As a result I lost my appetite and went without my lunch and now I feel all nervy wondering what he will be like when I get home.

Is there any treatment that might help me with this because we are both getting older (I am 58) and therefore we will be getting things wrong with us in later years. I will end up in a nuthouse at this rate.

Ladybird

Re: My health anxiety is not just about me

Hi there

The best treatment for HA is actually CBT - have you any knowledge of that?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi,

Yes, I have heard about CBT. I think it's related to changing the way you think about something which will in turn change the way you feel and your physical response.

I think I am going to have to try it because it isn't getting any better. I've had it most of my life. I am literally afraid of illness - whether it is me or someone close to me.

Thanks.

I am the same hun,

my partner just told me he had blood in his stools and feeling more tired lately...itold him immediately go to the doctors and now i can't stop panicking that he's got something awful and is going to die :(

I love him so much, couldnt bear the thought of life without him so this is driving me crazy and making anxiety million times worse

Me too

I think this is GA as I worry about my family also. It is just them thoughts of impending doom again. I worry if they have not got home on time...etc...CBT will help as you have to learn to rationalise again. I find that what ever I think I just allow my rational brain to catch up which it usually does in 24 hours.

Keep up the relaxation techniques as slowing the mind down and teaching it to slow down at all times is the answer to the panic. I agree though If my wife gets a migraine I cannot help thinking she needs a scan. I think it is my bodies way of gaining the reassurance that all is OK and that will relive the anxiety. If I went to the doctor evertime I worried about myself or others I would be there 3 times a day at least.

Mee

Thread Information