Thread: Genuinely can't go through this anymore - swollen lymph nodes

Genuinely can't go through this anymore - swollen lymph nodes

I'm struggling so much. I had a swollen pea size lymph node come up on the back of my neck about 6 weeks ago just a couple of cms below my hairline. I panicked a lot but felt a little relief when I read it could be from an infected spot and I had one a couple of days before that was yellow and crusty but it's still there and to make things ten times worse I have tonight found another at the bottom of my neck at the back on the other side which is a bit bigger.

I went to the doctors in July as I'd got a swollen lymph node at the front of my neck that had been there for a couple of years but the doctor said that it felt small but sent me for an ultrasound as he thought my thyroid was bulky and after the ultrasound I was booked in for a biopsy but luckily the second ultrasound showed my thyroid was normal.

I just really can't go through all of this again. I lost a stone and a half from all the stress of my lymph node and thyroid. I just want these swollen glands to not be anything sinister. My husband is ready to leave me as every week it's something different. I've had issues with my left ear for a couple of months now that still hasn't gone away so I don't know if my lymph nodes could be reacting to that or to all the spots on the back of my neck that I keep scratching and picking at.

I know I shouldn't be posting for reassurance and I'm going through CBT for health anxiety at the moment but surely having lumps in your neck isn't normal?

Re: Genuinely can't go through this anymore - swollen lymph nodes

Quote Originally Posted by melie1818 View Post
    I'm struggling so much. I had a swollen pea size lymph node come up on the back of my neck about 6 weeks ago just a couple of cms below my hairline. I panicked a lot but felt a little relief when I read it could be from an infected spot and I had one a couple of days before that was yellow and crusty but it's still there and to make things ten times worse I have tonight found another at the bottom of my neck at the back on the other side which is a bit bigger.

I went to the doctors in July as I'd got a swollen lymph node at the front of my neck that had been there for a couple of years but the doctor said that it felt small but sent me for an ultrasound as he thought my thyroid was bulky and after the ultrasound I was booked in for a biopsy but luckily the second ultrasound showed my thyroid was normal.

I just really can't go through all of this again. I lost a stone and a half from all the stress of my lymph node and thyroid. I just want these swollen glands to not be anything sinister. My husband is ready to leave me as every week it's something different. I've had issues with my left ear for a couple of months now that still hasn't gone away so I don't know if my lymph nodes could be reacting to that or to all the spots on the back of my neck that I keep scratching and picking at.

I know I shouldn't be posting for reassurance and I'm going through CBT for health anxiety at the moment but surely having lumps in your neck isn't normal?
    Hi Melie, really sorry to hear what a rotten time you’re going through & i totally get it as i’m often in the same situation myself with some or other health panic, i lose weight in days, my husband never gets it at all as he’s never been in a total state of despair & hopelessness like me. However on a positive note the ultrasound on your thyroid was normal so thats brilliant news. I’m sure with your lymph nodes it will all be fine, you could be fighting an infection, have you had a cough cold or anything like that, would you be able to have a quick chat with your surgery to maybe put your mind at rest.
    Hope you can find a bit of peace, here to chat if you’re struggling, take care.

Re: Genuinely can't go through this anymore - swollen lymph nodes

Thank you for your reply, I do appreciate it. I spoke to the doctor earlier and he thinks its due to my previous skin condition on the back of my neck even though it's a lot better now or from the spots that I keep scratching. He says glands at the front usually swell due to colds etc and the ones on the back are usually from skin conditions. I asked if it could be cancer and he said it's unlikely but to monitor them over the next few days/weeks and if they change or any more come up then they will into it.

Usually I get some relief after speaking to the doctor but because he hasn't felt them I still feel really anxious. I just got the feeling he was trying to find a simple cause just to appease me. I can't believe I'm ending the year feeling like I do. It's been over 5 years that I've had these anxieties and I don't feel as though it's ever going to get better. I'm in a living hell and failing as a mother and a wife.

Thread Information