Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Very ill daughter - I think she has IBD

Re: Very ill daughter - I think she has IBD

Thanks for the replies and advice all.

To answer Lana, no she hasn't had any antibiotics so it won't be C-diff.

And to debs71 above, not she hasn't vomited - tbh, if she had been vomiting I would have been more at ease it was a bug. But that would have been even worse for her. Friday was her last day in the school's nursery, so could have caught something then?

We have tried giving her Dioralyte in various forms but she keeps saying her drink is yucky! We've even add it to a large part of orange juice, but she says she can taste it. Any tips?!

She became much better yesterday afternoon, and ate all her dinner and had a gap of 14 hours between a bowel movement which was a bit more formed this morning.

Unfortunately speaking to that out of hours doctor early on Monday morning spiked me further because he said 'it could be the start of something'. Didn't help that I'd barely slept and my anxiety was already high.

Throughout all my IBS troubles a few years ago, I never had blood (maybe once), so seeing those specks really threw me over the edge. Plus this was a very nasty bug if that's what it is.

I'm hoping she's getting over this now, as she's much better again this morning, touch wood.

And I'm sorry for winding other members up again. I haven't had a major panic over health issues for quite a while now, so I'm quite disappointed how I handled this situation. Even though I had a very similar bug (or food poisoning) in christmas 2019, I couldn't reassure myself that this was probably the same thing.
    Last edited by MrLurcher; 30-03-21 at 08:51.

The out of hours doctor didn't help as I said before. Unnecessary comment via the phone and not based on clinical examination.

Glad she's feeling better, Mr L. She won't need the dioralyte if she's eating and drinking again now. Just keep plain fluids flowing and avoid orange juice because it's too acidic after a bug.

Don't beat yourself up over a slip-up, either. These things happen, and I don't know about you but I actually find it harder when it's happening to someone I care about.

Glad to hear she's feeling a bit better sounds like she is on the mend 👍 and don't apologise we have all been there and all know what its like ❤️

You really have nothing to worry about if she is eating and drinking now. It is just a case of sitting it out and waiting for the diarrhoea to end, which it will.

As Pulisa said, she doesn't require Dioralyte if she is eating and drinking. It is only needed if she is losing fluids and not replacing them. You will find that her loose poos may continue for a while yet, until the virus has fully worked its way out of her system.

As far as her not liking the Dioralyte goes, I believe you can buy natural Dioralyte which has no flavour to it, unlike the blackcurrant and citrus one, but I could be wrong. It has been a while since I nursed or had to use Dioralyte so can't say for certain.

And going so much, with less eating, might mean less fibre so stools are off for a bit anyway.

Yoghurt will help to correct gut issues if she will eat it.

Glad to hear she is on the mend. Dontbkucj yourself too much because that is another weapon in the anxiety arsenal. Treat it as a learning experience.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information