Thread: Ladies - thoughts on Oestrogen Dominance Causing OCD?

Lightbulb Ladies - thoughts on Oestrogen Dominance Causing OCD?

Hi everyone

This is one for the ladies

After reading the many articles on this site I am now truly encouraged and amazed by what I have learnt, so thank you to those who wrote the articles on this subject you have changed my life. Its what I have been saying to doctors, phychiatrists for the last few years is wrong with me.

Yes I have had traumatic events in my life but am convinced my OCD is caused by a hormone deficiency. I first had OCD every month at the time of my period, then it would go away. 3 years later I developed contamination OCD which I have been battling with for 7 years. I like most of you have gone through the different medication the doctors prescribe which help get me through.

Please can anyone who has experienced the same as me please tell me how they are getting on with the Progesterone Cream and did it help their OCD?
    Last edited by JMT; 10-11-07 at 12:27. Reason: Spelt Estrogen wrong

Re: Ladies - thoughts on Oestrogen Dominance Causing OCD?

Hi , I have never been diagnosed with OCD , although i do have soem traits of it when very anxious.
    I was told I lack progesterone so used the cream and I did feel better being on it than off it. I stopped using it when i thought how much money it was costing me and i was doing well so felt i didnt need it.
    Then i went on birth control pills which made me feel terrible and have been bad ever since. So last month I started the progesterone cream again ,
    but the trouble is it takes 3 months to build up in your body....so this is my second month now. I will let you know how i get on and if it helps me.
    look forward to your update .

Hi JMT,
    I have a few OCD-type symptoms from time to time rolled in with my anxiety, and I know monthly hormone changes do have great effects on my anxiety levels.
    My worst time is usually 2-4 days prior to my period, when I will often get a real burst of round-the-clock anxiety, as well as headaches and strong health anxiety (sometimes accompanied by repetitive 'checking' symptoms.)
    Like Mirry, I find the combined Pill doesn't suit me at all physically and taking it has coincided with worse anxiety.

I'm not sure my OCD-type symptoms or wider anxiety are caused by hormones by as such, but I do think the levels of certain hormones can seriously amplify anxiety issues.
    Other knock-on effects of period hormone changes might be in turn affecting your mood - like weight gain/loss, water retention, deficiency of certain vitamins and minerals. I have found that careful attention to a balanced diet, drinking a lot of water, doing light frequent exercise and taking vit/mineral supplements has helped both my anxiety and my periods a bit

I hope this is helpful
    Amanda

when i started on the pill my anxiety/ocd definately increased and has only really improved almost totally since coming off the pill. whore-moans yuk!

Yes definately I feel worse before and first day of my period, health anxiety, OCD and last time I was even suicidal, really depressed. But with me depression only starts when I'm super anxious, as a kind of follow up. When I feel good I'm full of ideas and energy. I am going to try the Progesteron cream although I heard it's not ideal, it builds up in the tissues or muscles in the body over the months or years. I think I'm oestrogen dominant.
    Interesting topic. Hormones are crucial in many diagnosis and doctors never talk about it. I also have bladder problems which I heard can be caused by hormonal imbalance. the best way to check your hormones is with a saliva test, the blood test is not very accurate.
    sara

Hi all,

Found this interesting reading....

Intrigued as to whether my OCD is caused or even amplified due to hormones... For me bizzarley I tend to feel better mentally around and during my period in many ways...

My OCD tends to focus mainly on relationships so ROCD but in the past have had several different focus's ...I also suffer GAD..and depression although the depression hasn't reared his ugly head in a long while probably due to sevral factors including becoming used to it and also finding out im not insane but actually suffering GAD OCD etc....

Never considered there might be a physica/hormonal reason behind it...

Does anyone know of other symptoms that would suggest a hormonal imbalance...

SOmeone mentioned baldder problems which is something i've always suffered from.. this year in particular .. I've had 11 UTI's since xmas and am meant to be having a scan in October to find out why i keep having them.. I have what i call chronic dodgy bladder cos even now its not right... im not in pain but i have the rest of the infection symptoms...

ANyway any info or advice welcomed with thanks

Take care all
    X

You can not know true happiness untill you have experienced deep sorrow.

Live each day like the first and the last, don't look to the future or fret for the past, take just a step and never look back, love what you have hate not what you lack. You are divine, unique and blessed, you are the subject and life is the test. Know you will fare all weathers and trials, but for now, just sit back and relax for a while.

Thread Information