Thread: Obsessed with age issues

Obsessed with age issues

Is there anybody out there who like me are obssesed with getting old or older, and watching the news or listening to friends talking about people who have died, how, and why they died, and how old they were? and then obviously thinking about yourself! I have been fed way too much information lately, in great detail of men dying of heart attacks same age as me! i can't get it out of my head, and it is creating more panic and anxiety, i am living in fear at the moment! Just wondered if anybody else is going through the same thing.

Re: Obsessed with age issues

I used to dwell on this mate. I am 40, and still get a little edgy when I read about someone having a heart attack who is younger than me though.

I brought this up with my GP and he said that what I had to realise is, that per capita it is very rare for people to have heart attacks under a certain age, and that most of the time it is heart defects not picked up when they was young.

At this time in the UK, people are living longer than ever, so balance that thought with your negative thoughts.

Good luck chap.

Jaco

Thanks for youre advice, and yeah youre right i suppose it is a minority, i am 46, and i could reel off a load of names that have died roughly my age, but you only tend to look at those people and not the millions that are living! The media don't help, you cant get away from the news, on tv, internet, teletext, newspapers, and then you have the people that have nothing better to talk about!

One thing I try to remember is that news is printed or is mentioned Because it's news and that the media loves to sensationalise and dramatise to boost their sales.

I try to put these things into context and as Jaco says, there are always rare reasons.

I must admit I got so fed up with the papers that I stopped reading them years ago. If I see one I tend to just look at the sports page.

I know a lot of old people and I hear all their aches and pains but in a way it gives comfort knowing Old people if you see what I mean.

I too worry about age. Having lost my mum suddenly of a heart attack age 60 and my dad having alzeimers from the age of 53 I suppose there would be something wrong with me if I didnt worry.
    However I used to work on the community as a care worker and looked after loads of people who were well into their 80s and even a lady who lived till she was 102 and had a brilliant quality of life.
    My mum had a saying "you die if you worry and you die if you dont, so why worry?".
    Its a difficult saying to live up to if like me your just a born worrier.

Take care
    LYNN xx

i totally relate to this...my mum and dad are now constantly telling me im now middle age, and that half my life is over....im 33.

my mum is and has always been obsessed with death, and from hearing this from both of them since i turned 29, i now feel old, and of anxiety has set in big time...i wake up in fear of it sometimes....

i like what the others on here said tho, and it makes full sense too....
    i think ill stop listening to my parents ( who are both very strange ppl) and stop watching the news....as i too have been hearing of young deaths recently....

good luck with it for all of us on here....i think we need to enjoy the time we do have, whatever it be and worrying about it only makes our time not enjoyable....im sure we will all live loooong and healthy lives!!

Thanks everybody, it's just been this year that it's really hit me! now i can't get it out of my head, it's fuelling the stress and anxiety i already have. Every day i seem to find out something different, and it sets me back. But yes, the media are very good at scare mongering and senstionalizing everything, i suppose it gets into your subconcious mind after a while.

Thread Information