Thread: Insect bite worried

Insect bite worried

Hi all, I know I should calm down, but I’m really worried about an insect bite I’ve got on my right ankle. I saw a small red dot there on Sunday morning. By Sunday night it was very itchy and has turned into a red spot. I’m really worried that I may have been bitten by a tick. I read that if ticks bite you they stay attached to the skin for a couple of days if not removed. I guess I would have seen it if it had been there when I was putting on my socks and drying my feet after showering. I’m therefore hoping it isn’t a tick. I wonder if it’s a mosquito bite. I’ve mad an appointment with a video GP service for tomorrow morning. I’ve uploaded a photo for the doc to see. It was very itchy but has now calmed down. I hope the GP will be able to reassure me that it’s probably a mosquito or fly bite. I think I may be able to get tested for lymes disease if it is a tick bite. From what I read you often get a massive red ring appearing from a lymes disease infected tick bite.
    Enough rambling, I just wondered if anyone had any ideas.
    I do have a couple of patches of grass growing between paving slabs, hence my worry about ticks.
    Thanks for reading this.
    Nighttime Pacer

Re: Insect bite worried

I don’t know where you live, but it’s probably much more likely to be a mosquito bite. They follow the same pattern.

Definitely more likely to be a mosquito bite, they can grow huge and be really itchy.

You really don't need a Drs appointment for an insect bite. Some of us would be calling several times a day for those which are incredibly itchy and red !!! One tiny dot in the centre that became itchy some hours later / next day is standard biting flying insect bite (of various species). Do you not get many insect bites, its a serious question, as any day I'm outside I'll have several of what you describe.

A tick would have been attached so firmly they can't easily be removed for a few days, as you say you'd have not only seen it but felt it (I've had some attached to me) they are itchy from a very short time after they attach as they secrete saliva into the skin. You sound like someone who is body hyper focused at the moment, and I'm certain you'd have felt it and noticed it. You could have accidentally knocked off the tick's body - but then you would see a head left in the centre of the 'bite' which would be obviously black/dark brown and really visible to the naked eye.

Besides, you've had the same fear about Lyme's a few years ago and it wasn't anything then (might be worth rereading that thread). Your thread history from 2012 shows entirely contamination/poisoning/disease fears, Weil's, tetanus, food poisoning, Hantavirus, Lyme's, Legionnaire's, asbestos, Toxic moulds, weedkiller, Chemicals on and in things, Vinyl gloves, MRSA, BSE and many more besides - so I'm wondering where you are at with your help with dealing with the problem and how much you are able to personally challenge your fears ?
    Last edited by Carys; 30-08-22 at 10:57.

Thread Information