Thread: Fluoxetine, heightened anxiety when first starting…how long?

Fluoxetine, heightened anxiety when first starting…how long?

Hi guys, I’m back.
    I just have a quick question. About 2 and a half years ago I started taking fluoxetine 20mg, and it was a miracle drug for me! I weened off it after about a year, and life was good. Unfortunately this year has been tough for me, I’ve had two very real health scares which have required ongoing blood tests, scans, appointments and reviews which are still ongoing, and this has triggered my health anxiety. The anxiety is so bad, that I feel like my skin is crawling, I have constant butterflies in my tummy, my brain is constantly overthinking, I’m obsessively checking myself multiple times per day, and just generally having a really bad time. I feel absent from family life, like I am physically in the room, but not present.
    Anyway, I’m considering restarting fluoxetine, but my question is this…
    I am going on holiday in 3 weeks. I remember from last time that my anxiety became hideous when I first started taking fluoxetine, but I cannot remember exactly how long that lasted.
    Does anyone know, if I restarted fluoxetine this week, would the heightened anxiety that is caused when starting the drug be likely to still be present and ruin my holiday in 3 weeks? Or should I just wait til I get back to start the drug?
    I hope this makes sense.

Re: Fluoxetine, heightened anxiety when first starting…how long?

Quote Originally Posted by Limeslime View Post
    I am going on holiday in 3 weeks. I remember from last time that my anxiety became hideous when I first started taking fluoxetine, but I cannot remember exactly how long that lasted.
    Does anyone know, if I restarted fluoxetine this week, would the heightened anxiety that is caused when starting the drug be likely to still be present and ruin my holiday in 3 weeks? Or should I just wait til I get back to start the drug?
    Unfortunately, there is no way of predicting how long any initial side-effects may continue. Side-effects and their severity can differ each time so your previous experience may, or may not be repeated this time. However, starting on a small dose and ramping it up by the same amount every 2-3 weeks should moderate their severity.

I suggest you ask your GP to prescribe it in 10mg tablets initially (if they are available) and starting on only half a tablet daily for the first couple of weeks (get the GP's okay to do this). If it is only available in capsules their contents can be dissolved in a measured quantity of water or fruit juice (but not that of grapefruit) and then dividing the amount drunk to get the 5mg dose. The mixture will retain its potency for at least a week if refrigerated.

Re: Fluoxetine, heightened anxiety when first starting…how long?

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thread Information