Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fluoxetine for 3rd time

Re: Fluoxetine for 3rd time

I also take this tablet. I have asked my GP how long I can take it for, I have not needed a review yet.

It seems to have helped my anxiety a lot

Obviously I suffer with anxiety and do get anxious about new medications. I have been on citalopram in the past and worked well. Is Escitalopram similar in chemical. If so I shouldn’t have a reaction to it

Which tablet are you on

Quote Originally Posted by Ayresstew View Post
    Obviously I suffer with anxiety and do get anxious about new medications. I have been on citalopram in the past and worked well. Is Escitalopram similar in chemical. If so I shouldn’t have a reaction to it
    Citalopram and escitalopram contain the same active drug, the 'S' isomer of citalopram, aka escitalopram. Citalopram also contains the 'R' mirror image isomer which is a poorer fit biologically and so is mostly inactive. Lexapro (escitalopram) is more refined and only contains the 'S' isomer which is why doses are half those of citalopram. There can be subtle differences in the side-effects each med produces because of that 'R' isomer in citalopram.

Thanks for your info it’s been helpful thanks.
    I’m still can’t understand why this time the side effects was so bad like I’ve never had. Can the body almost build a tolerance to it when you have been on and of for years

I’m still can’t understand why this time the side effects was so bad like I’ve never had. Can the body almost build a tolerance to it when you have been on and of for years
    These are good questions for which there are no good answers, afaik. I'm not even aware of any research looking for the answers. However, tolerance to ADs can occur even when taking them continually. It seems to happen more often with SSRIs than SNRIs, TCAs and MAOIS.

Hi I’ve been on escitalopram for 14 days now I’m just wondering what you meant by it might take a bit longer to work because of moving from fluoxetine. How long does it take for fluoxetine to come out your system
    Thanks

I’m just wondering what you meant by it might take a bit longer to work because of moving from fluoxetine.
    Because of the washout break rather than switching overnight.

How long does it take for fluoxetine to come out your system
    Completely, up to 30 days for fluoxetine and to 80 days for its active metabolite norfluoxetine. The rule of thumb is most meds take 5 times their elimination half-life to clear. The half-life of fluoxetine is up to 6 days and 16 days for the metabolite.

Hi thanks how long does it take for escitalopram take to start working and is it the same as fluoxetine when you up the dose it’s starting again
    Thanks

Hi thanks how long does it take for escitalopram take to start working
    Usually anywhere from 4-12 weeks, but being on fluoxetine for a while may shorten this even though it didn't work, however, as with everything AD related that isn't a guarantee. The only predictable thing about these meds is their unpredictability.

and is it the same as fluoxetine when you up the dose it’s starting again
    Increasing the dose doesn't put you back to square one, but it will take some weeks for the higher dose to have a significant effect.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information