Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Fluoxetine for 3rd time

Re: Fluoxetine for 3rd time

Quote Originally Posted by jackieann3 View Post
    Hello wanted to know if anyone on floxetine getting palpitations at all not sure if this is a side effect,
    Palpitations can be an initial side-effect of SSRIs, SNRIs and some TCAs due to the initial increase in serotonin activity. Serotonin isn't only a brain neurotransmitter. It has many functions in the body including in the regulation of blood vessel tone, constriction and dilation and this can be impacted for a while until the body adjusts. They are also mild anticoagulants. Increased anxiety from taking meds for the first time may also be contributing to the palpitations. If you're reasonably healthy the palpitations are probably nothing more than a nuisance, but I suggest your consult your GP if you're concerned if only for peace of mind.

Also what time would be ok to stop them if I wanted to I know you can't just stop them but only been taking them a week and 20mg I've never been on medication before.
    Given you've only been taking fluoxetine for a week and that it has a very long half life you could stop taking it without tapering off. It may take a couple of weeks for all of it to be metabolized and eliminated so the side-effects may not stop immediately.

Thank you, yes I've stopped taking them besides the palpitations the way I feel is horrendous never felt so ill and was through the night as well, felt bad from day 3 but carried on but just was getting worse all the time , but thank you for your reply.

I've stopped taking them besides the palpitations the way I feel is horrendous never felt so ill and was through the night as well, felt bad from day 3 but carried on but just was getting worse all the time
    ADs can trigger a range of side-effects at the beginning. While unpleasant they are rarely physically harmful. They may not have been as bad if you'd been started on 10mg for the first 2-3 weeks, or 5mg if you're particularly sensitive.

Thank you, yes I thought they were probably too strong for me but not ever taken anything before I thought that was the lowest dose I was given, I will go back to see the doctor when I feel better 2nd day of stopping them and still feel terrible but hopefully start to feel better soon .

I thought that was the lowest dose I was given, I will go back to see the doctor when I feel better
    Fluoxetine is available in 10mg tablets and capsules and as a liquid. If you have 20mg capsules the contents can be diluted in a measured quantity of water or fruit juice (but not grapefruit juice) and drinking half, or a quarter per day. However, don't do this without discussing it with your GP first.

2nd day of stopping them and still feel terrible but hopefully start to feel better soon .
    You will hopefully notice a significant difference by the end of day 3.

Yes on day 3 now after stopping them hopefully the way I feel will ease soon feel just as bad if not worse , didn't think I would feel this bad after taking them for just 7 days I thought you had to be on them a while to feel these effects, still haven't been able to speak to a doctor going to try again later just to make sure these symptoms are from stopping them .

6th day after stopping floxetine feel a lot better but still having palpitations which are making me really anxious which probably making them worse I know , could this still be from the tablets? Does anyone think.

6th day after stopping floxetine feel a lot better but still having palpitations which are making me really anxious which probably making them worse I know , could this still be from the tablets? Does anyone think.
    After 6 days you will only have, at most, half as much fluoxetine in your system as when you stopped taking it so will be much less likely to be the cause of the palpitations. Anxiety is more likely to be the culprit, not the med and could have been all along.

Thank you for your reply, yes probably is anxiety just the meds seem to have made them worse but trying hard to ignore them , thanks again.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information