Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourite long-running logos/emblems?

Re: Favourite long-running logos/emblems?

While not actually a logo per se, I do like the font that appears on all general road signage in the UK that is aptly named 'Transport'.

Even though it's only been in use since the 60s, it's still timeless and iconic.

Said font sometimes also appears on road name signs in some local authority areas (usually in all uppercase lettering), though the one font that commonly appears on those is called 'Octavian' (again, almost always in uppercase lettering).

My local authority (Tamworth Borough Council) currently tends to flip-flop between 'Transport' and 'Octavian' on their road name signage, though the former ('Transport') has usually been TBC's 'default' font on their road name signage for the past 25 years or so, while East Staffordshire Borough Council (which covers Burton) has always used 'Octavian' on their road name signage.

The font is actually called "Transport" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_(typeface)

I agree, it's a lovely font.

Is this the font you mean? https://www.fonts.com/font/monotype/octavian

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    The font is actually called "Transport" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_(typeface)

I agree, it's a lovely font.

Is this the font you mean? https://www.fonts.com/font/monotype/octavian
    Yes, that's the one.

'Octavian' is also used on the road name signs in Lichfield. There are two basic variants. The one generally used in the main 'city' area has white lettering on a dark brown background, while the one used in the wider surrounding 'district' area has black lettering on a white background.

Why do they use Octavian, but other areas use Transport?

Tamworth is a lovely area. I've been to Drayton Mannor many times as a youth.

I've always been confused about Tamworth train station, does it have tracks on 2 levels? It confused me the first time I used it.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Why do they use Octavian, but other areas use Transport?

Tamworth is a lovely area. I've been to Drayton Mannor many times as a youth.

I've always been confused about Tamworth train station, does it have tracks on 2 levels? It confused me the first time I used it.
    Thanks for your nice comments, even though my brother probably wouldn't agree with you on that, but that's his prerogative of course.

Yes, Tamworth train station does have two levels, but it's all I've ever known so it makes no odds to me.

As for the fonts used on the road name signs in Tamworth, over the past decade or so they seem to have been randomly alternating between 'Transport' and 'Octavian' for some strange reason. No big deal for me though.

Oh so it does have 2 levels. It confused the heck out of me.

If you've been to Redditch, there's a car park in the town center. There is a lift you get in, in the carpark that takes you up to the shopping center. It appears to move sideways, but it's just mind trickery. You come out by the Wilkinsons, and the brain thinks that's "over the other side", but it's not it's right above.

I'm intrigued now as to why they're alternating it.

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    That smell was a combo of metal and grease. None of that plastic crap back then that had eventually become the norm on such devices by the end of the 80s.

Also the Aiwa brand never felt the same for me again when they changed the logo to the all-lowercase font (stylised as 'aiwa') in around 1992 or so.
    I briefly mentioned another treasured Aiwa 'Walkman'-type cassette player I had back in the mid-late 90s in another thread the other day, that I kind of wish I still had now, if only for the period nostalgia factor, despite the fact that portable CD players were basically the norm (and obviously more desirable) by the latter half of the 90s, and I did also dabble with MDs for a time during the very late 90s and the first half of the 2000s, though that's all for another thread in this particular context.

Back to the Aiwa cassette player in question. While I can't remember its model number, its body was matt black plastic (typical of its era), sported the then-newer all-lowercase logo (stylised as 'aiwa') and was a very basic model with simple mechanical-type tape transport control keys (and a playback only model, which was typical of the vast majority of 'Walkman'-type cassette devices then), a simple volume control rotary knob, headphone jack and a red LED indicator lamp that confirmed operation mode (play, rewind or fast-forward). No auto-reverse playback, Dolby NR, tape type selection, graphic equaliser/tone control, nor any other frills typically found on higher-end models (from all brands), but all in all it still performed very well despite being a 'budget' offering, was reliable and had a decent sound quality with very low wow-and-flutter and a fairly decent overall frequency response, unlike the increasingly dire quality offerings (from pretty much all brands) by the 2000s, when almost all audio-visual equipment seemed to go back to silver for a time, then back to black again by about 2008 or so.

I would still also love another TP-S30, Aiwa's first-ever portable 'Walkman'-like device from the very early 80s; again if only for the nostalgia's sake and most certainly for the sake of its versatility as a recording device (as already covered in greater detail upthread) and doing many leisurely (non-serious) recording experiments.

I was also disappointed when B&Q changed their long-running red 'roundel' logo (circa 1993) to a boring 'straight' logo, though they've still managed to outlast almost all of their closest likewise competitors over the years, so they must have been doing something right in order to achieve that, while many of their former rivals (e.g, Texas Homecare, Do It All, etc) ended up going the way of the dodo!
    Funnily enough, I actually came across an old empty B & Q plastic carrier bag from the 80s era that had been stashed away in a drawer in our house for donkeys years but still remains fully intact with no holes, tears or scuffs, which could now be a very good period collector's item. Not only does it bear the original red B & Q 'roundel' logo, but it also bears the words 'D.I.Y. Supercentre', as written in the exact original grammar, but not sure of the name of the font (that was also used on all the signage throughout their stores and also in their printed brochures, etc, during the 80s and early 90s).

But there was one negative past association from it that struck me; the fact that trips to B & Q (along with many other stores when I was a kid), often ended up in massive rows between my parents, especially as my mom had a habit of spending ages in stores gawping at stuff and struggling to make her mind up over what to choose, plus whenever my dad did DIY jobs at home (such as decorating), he would often end up getting it in the neck off my mom over the slightest imperfections, and even worse if my mom had a last-minute change of heart on the new decor, etc, which again often resulted in war and peace between my parents, with tons of yelling and screaming, and even threats of divorce galore!

Really glad that's all a thing of the past now.

Just remembered another blast from the past.

The old Carling logo from the 70s-80s era when said lager was known as 'Carling Black Label' and was a wonky black label on a bright red background bearing the text stylised as 'CARLING Black Label LAGER'.

Although I've never drank lager (or beer in general) as I personally think it tastes rank, there's something about that particular logo and general livery that makes me smile. I also find its TV commercials from the 80s era rather amusing when watching on YouTube.

I guess the old additional 'Black Label' tag (which I think was abandoned in the 90s) would probably be considered rather non-PC today.

I could’ve bet Lencoboy wouldn't drink Carling Black Label!...

... The old Carling logo from the 70s-80s era...

Although I've never drank lager (or beer in general) as I personally think it tastes rank, there's something about that particular logo and general livery that makes me smile. I also find its TV commercials from the 80s era rather amusing when watching on YouTube.
    One of the funniest and best adverts for knocking copy (making fun of another advert) was this Carling Black Label skit on the Old Spice aftershave surfer ad.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuA-c1046JU

Last edited by Pain; 23-03-24 at 12:31. Reason: I got Brut mixed up with Old Spice - it just didn't make scents...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information