Thread: Nausea when restarting sertraline

Nausea when restarting sertraline

Hi everyone,
    I have just restarted on sertraline and have been getting waves of nausea throughout the day. I have been in this for 7 years in and off and never had nausea as a symptom. How long will this last and has anyone else had this as a side effect when restarting?
    Thank you 😊

Re: Nausea when restarting sertraline

Hi Hco. I wish I could help but have never been on sertraline before. It does appear to be the default AD of choice now? How long ago did you restart? Is there a possibility the nausea could be caused by something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Hco View Post
    I have been in this for 7 years in and off and never had nausea as a symptom. How long will this last and has anyone else had this as a side effect when restarting?
    Nausea is a very common initial side-effect of most serotonergic antidepressants (ADs), partly because the gut is by far the most serotonergic organ of the body producing about 50 times as much serotonin as the brain so it is likely to be more affected by SSRIs, SNRIs and some TCAs increasing serotonin activity at the beginning. Secondly, nausea is one of the most common anxiety symptoms and antidepressants often exacerbate it initially. Side-effects can be different each time an AD is started and they may vary in intensity too.

These side-effects usually ease as bio-feedback mechanisms kick-in and down-regulate serotonin synthesis and expression. This typically begins within a few weeks, but may return for a while after dose increases. Ginger and/or vitamin B6 supplements are often effective remedies. If they don't work for you ask your GP to prescribe an antiemetic such as ondansetron (Zofran).

Your such an encyclopedia PDU!
    It’s fantastic reading.
    Happy new year to you. I hope 2023 is a good one.

Thread Information