Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Comedians that wouldn't be allowed on TV today

Re: Comedians that wouldn't be allowed on TV today

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    nothing but a tedious bore-fest, especially the endless F-bombs basically every other word
    Take it you're not a Mrs Brown's Boys fan then, Lenco?

Bernard Manning

Benny Hill and Kenny Everett is back on the TV, which surprises me.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Bernard Manning
    Odious little man.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum123 View Post
    Kenny Everett

How did the BBC not notice Cupid Stunt?
    Ah, but they did. Bill Cotton collared Barry Cryer about it and said it needed to be changed.

So she was renamed Mary Hinge - and apparently Cotton said "see, it's possible to be funny without being crude!"

(apparently this anecdote comes from Stephen Fry)

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Ah, but they did. Bill Cotton collared Barry Cryer about it and said it needed to be changed.

So she was renamed Mary Hinge - and apparently Cotton said "see, it's possible to be funny without being crude!"
    That is BRILLIANT

Mrs. Brown is hilarious. I often find the longer a show goes on, the less spark it has. Except Big Bang Theory, I could watch that on repeat every day.

I didn't even know about half of these comedians. Jim Jefferies is funny. I thought he died, who was the comedian that died recently? Last year or the year before I think.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Barry Cryer died this time last year. (I met him several times. He swore a lot and liked a drink. Liked his rock 'n' roll and could belt out a number or two)

Jethro died a couple of years ago.
    There was a younger comedian that passed not so long ago, I can't think of the name off hand.

I like Mrs Brown but it has gone stale.
    And I'm with you on The Big Bang Theory wiredincorrectly, I could literally watch it everyday. The writing for that series is superb!

I'm glad Barry Cryer is everything I hoped he'd be.

Saw Jethro once at an end of the pier show and he was vile, lots of horrible racist material.

I think there's another series this year?

Barry Cryer died this time last year. (I met him several times. He swore a lot and liked a drink. Liked his rock 'n' roll and could belt out a number or two)

Jethro died a couple of years ago.
    There was a younger comedian that passed not so long ago, I can't think of the name off hand.

And I'm with you on The Big Bang Theory wiredincorrectly, I could literally watch it everyday. The writing for that series is superb!
    I think that's probably happened in the case of RCB (and others of his ilk) that I covered earlier today upthread.

Edgy and exciting to many back in the 90s and 2000s (especially in the context of 'controversy sells') but increasingly 'stale' and 'meh' by the 2010s and 2020s, plus of course 'non-PC', which he and others pretty much always were anyway from the off.

On a similar note, there were edgy celeb programmes like 'TFI Friday' and 'The Word' back in the 90s, and not forgetting certain Brit Awards in particular between the mid 90s and the early 2000s which were often notorious for artists/celebs behaving badly, whereas over more recent years the Brit Awards have reportedly become tamer in terms of behaviours/antics displayed by featured artists.

Also, whilst not comedy per se, we don't seem to have edgy live TV debate shows like 'Central Weekend Live' anymore, which was a Friday night TV 'staple' of the 90s for many people, where certain participants and even audience members would sometimes end up behaving like animals, especially in pursuit of one's fifteen minutes of fame with the latter!

Back to edgy comedians; I'm sure I have already mentioned in another thread on here before that my brother's old covers band did a show at a WMC near Coventry supporting the late Bernard Manning back in the early 2000s (which I was present at for my brother's band, not BM), and BM's set, complete with his typical vulgar gags for some reason just went totally over my head at the time.

Nowadays, anyone of BM's (and RCB's) ilk would make me flinch, but of course I'm far more enlightened, socially aware and less naive now compared to what I was back then.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information