Thread: Occupational Health Doctor

Occupational Health Doctor

I hope nobody minds but I've brought this post to the fore as it seemed a bit hidden away.
    I work for the local council and have to see the Occupational Health Doctor after being off sick with work/health related anxiety and stress.
    Has anyone seen a Council Doctor ?, what can I expect ? will he tell me to get back to work or what ? The Council have also organised a counceling session a week after the Doctor.
    Basically I was originally taken ill whilst at work with one major panic attack after another until I made a dash for the door and ran ,it's effected my heart rate and blood pressure , I'm slowly getting better by sorting things out myself to regain my confidence but I'm really worried that if I'm forced to return before I'm ready the whole thing will start off again and I'll never return.

AND -

does anyone have an update on this link please ??? or any other info on Occupational health assessments.

It appears to be a blind link.
    www.occupational-health.org.uk
    Cheers
    Decca

Re: Occupational Health Doctor

Hi Decca

Please dont worry about seeing the OH Doctor, if yours is as good as the one I saw then everything will be fine. I also work for a Local Authority and was sent to see the OH Doctor for 3 councelling sessions after pretty much the same problems you have. The good thing that came out of it was that Personnel now know what my problems are and I feel more relaxed while at work.

I'm sure you will be fine and hopefully the sessions will help

Take care

Pickle x

Thanks Pickle,
    It's good to meet another LA worker with similar problems, ( oops, I didn't mean that the way it sounds) thanks for your encouragement.
    My Boss recemended I saw the OH Doctor as he might recomend that I start back part time for a while, not sure how this would effect my wages though, would I take a cut or would the Council make up the difference.
    My first appointment is with the Doctor and then a week later I have an appointment with the therapist/councillor.

Hi Decca - I managed to continue working when I was seeing the OH Doctor but during 2002 when I had another bad period I was signed off for two weeks then I went back part time for 4 weeks. I assume all Local Government Contracts are the same which means depending on the time you have worked there depends on the amount of sick leave they pay for. ie if you have been employed for a year you get 4 weeks full pay. I've been in Local Government for over 20 years so would now get 6 months full/6 months half pay (well thats what it was in 2002), my part time work was paid as full time.

I often wonder if my job is part of my problem, too much work and not enough staff, but hey, that's the government for you lol.

I'd have a word with your Boss and ask him/her to find out what sick pay you are entitled to.

Hope all goes well and don't forget to post and let me know how you got on

Take care

Pickle x

Hi Pickle,
    Been with LA for 18 years so thankfully I'm entitled to 6 months full pay and six months half pay so not worried about that, it's just if I come off the sick and return to work part time , I assume they make up the difference.
    Yea you're right my illness is certainly the end result of scrimping on behalf of my employer and them unofficially expecting me to take on a team leaders role without the pay or support, just left to my own devices trying to co-ordinate a team of 5 and meet unreasonable targets set by Central Government.They were happy ignore what was happening although I'd been sick on and off since last April until I really got to much and I finally cracked in September.I had thought about seeing Unison with a view to going to tribunal but at the moment I can't cope with the extra stress.
    Best wishes and take care.
    Decca.

Decca are you sure we dont work for the same LA !!! My 'collapse' was partly due to losing my mum but also thro covering a colleagues year long maternity leave, getting a new computer system in AND doing my own job - for a year!!! Yes I got the overtime paid but working 10 and 12 hour days, running a house and looking after my dad eventually caught up with me. Why do we do it lol

I think Public Sector workers get a raw deal across the board, and it isnt even as tho the benefits are there anymore. Oh ek, talking about work, and its a Sunday too lol

Take care

Pickle x

Lol, I don't know we do it, I guess it could be the pay , I mean just look at that HUGE !! pay rise we've just had - and it's taken them 7 months to sort that out , definately a pay cut in real terms OR it could be the fantastic pension we get if we've contributed, as I said in another post I'll have to claim Guaranteed pension credit to top it up when I retire.
    Sunday nights have been bad for me since I joined the service , just thinking of the joys tomorrow will bring.

Thread Information