Thread: salmonella fears

salmonella fears

hi hope im doing this right. im a new person to writing these been a lurker here for awhile and im not new to health anxiety. so ill cut to the chase, three days ago me and my family ordered kfc and ate it and it was good. a few hours later my young niece said her stomach hurt and she threw up. she now has on and off diarrhea and pukes here and there it isnt consistent and now her mother who was taking care of her is also sick with the same symtpoms. i feel okay right now i get stomach pain that comes and goes and my mother who also ate the food feels fine. i know salmonella can take forever to appear and im worried sick that we all have it. i literally panic so much at the thought because i dont want to die or have rhem die. im sorry if this post is all over the place but i could use reassurance.

Re: salmonella fears

Welcome!

It's more likely to be some other type of food poisoning or bug instead of salmonella, but even if it were salmonella - rest assured, it's not fatal. It's not pleasant, but in healthy individuals it will run its course and be done. The important thing is to keep hydrated as fluids are lost with diarrhea/vomiting, so have everyone drink a lot of water. I believe it also will crop up within 72 hours of being exposed, so it sounds like anyone who isn't sick would be out of the woods by now.

I hope everyone starts to feel better!
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Re: salmonella fears

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    Welcome!

It's more likely to be some other type of food poisoning or bug instead of salmonella, but even if it were salmonella - rest assured, it's not fatal. It's not pleasant, but in healthy individuals it will run its course and be done. The important thing is to keep hydrated as fluids are lost with diarrhea/vomiting, so have everyone drink a lot of water. I believe it also will crop up within 72 hours of being exposed, so it sounds like anyone who isn't sick would be out of the woods by now.

I hope everyone starts to feel better!
    thank you for your kind words. my sister got checked out and its not salmonella but the norovirus. which has me scared a bit since i was around her daughter who had it on saturday though so was my mother who is fine. i saw her again briefly on monday but im still worried im gonna end up with it. but your words did reassure me that i mostly likely will be ok.

Thread Information