Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restarting sertraline

Re: Restarting sertraline

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Ginger and/or vitamin B6 supplements may ease the nausea. What are the stomach issues, Nick?
    Um slight nausea but nothing severe yet, but im getting sort of cramping, bubbling, loose stools etc! I pretty much had this before i started so not too worried as i knew sertraline would probably make this worse!!
    Its always the morning thats worse, and since restarting the sert im back waking 3 or 4 hours after i fall asleep so lots of time to think about it in bed
    Stomach issues and lack of appetite are always the 1st to show when im suffering anxiety, it doesnt help that im already skinny!!

Oh and eating is very difficult, i just seem to chew and chew but my body doesnt want me to swallow!!!! Again this normal for me when im feeling like this!!

Nick
    Last edited by wareing77; 21-05-23 at 13:09.

Quote Originally Posted by wareing77 View Post
    Um slight nausea but nothing severe yet, but im getting sort of cramping, bubbling, loose stools etc!
    Loperamide (Imodium) can be very effective in easing these side-effects, but discuss its suitability with your GP or pharmacist before taking it and don't exceed the daily dose.

since restarting the sert im back waking 3 or 4 hours after i fall asleep so lots of time to think about it in bed
    Stomach issues and lack of appetite are always the 1st to show when im suffering anxiety, it doesnt help that im already skinny!!
    A small dose of mirtazapine could help you sleep and possibly stack on a few pounds too as it often induces carbohydrate cravings. It might also calm the gut.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Loperamide (Imodium) can be very effective in easing these side-effects, but discuss its suitability with your GP or pharmacist before taking it and don't exceed the daily dose.

A small dose of mirtazapine could help you sleep and possibly stack on a few pounds too as it often induces carbohydrate cravings. It might also calm the gut.
    Ye not sure about mirtazapine as when i first started sert years ago i was coming off mirt and the side effects were horrendous though now i think that might have been not so much the start up side effects of the sert but withdrawing from the mirtazapine.

Im only on day 3 this time but the side effects arent anywhere near as bad as the first time so far!! I can feel it ramping up a bit though

Nick

So day 6 on 50mg and the side effects are in full swing! Had a real bad couple of days, been given some diazepam but dont wanna get addicted altho i took it for weeks last time and was fine once the sert kicked in!

Quote Originally Posted by wareing77 View Post
    been given some diazepam but dont wanna get addicted altho i took it for weeks last time and was fine once the sert kicked in!
    The bad news is that you are already dependent - not addicted - on diazepam and its metabolites, plus lorazepam (Ativan) as these are a natural constituent of all foods. While the amount is small, it is not insignificant and can reach harmful levels in the blood plasma of some with impaired liver function.

The better news is that you are very unlikely to develop dependence to the high doses from the prescribed diazepam in the couple of weeks you may be on it to ease you through the initial sertraline side-effects, just as you didn't the last time.

What's the difference between dependence and addiction? This study about aspirin provides a clue: Intractable upper gastrointestinal ulceration due to aspirin in patients who have undergone surgery for peptic ulcer.
    I doubt many taking BZDs would continue to take them in the face of repeated surgeries and the certainty of imminent death.
    (No, this does not mean aspirin shouldn't be taken if needed. There's a difference between therapeutic use and long term abuse.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information