Thread: Stopped taking fluoxetine due to pregnancy

Stopped taking fluoxetine due to pregnancy

I’m 5 weeks pregnant and when I found out about two weeks ago, I decided to stop taking my fluoxetine. I know there is no conclusive evidence to say that the drug can cause defects in the baby, but because I already have children born with neurooogical disorders, plus my advanced maternal age (I’m 39) I just don’t wanna take any risks.
    The pregnancy wasn’t planned so I didn’t have much opportunity to wean off, although I was forgetting to take it regularly and averaged one tablet about every 2-3 days most of the time anyway. I was taking 30mg.
    But I feel like these past few days I’m struggling soooo badly. I’m sure my hormones might be playing a part, but I feel sad all the time, my obsessive checking of my body is back (health anxiety) and just generally being afraid and distracted all the time.
    I really don’t want to be medicated during pregnancy. But I don’t know how I’m gonna cope.
    Any advice please?

Re: Stopped taking fluoxetine due to pregnancy

I would discuss it with your GP/midwife. It may be better for the baby if you continue on the medication, you may be calmer?

Quote Originally Posted by Limeslime View Post
    I know there is no conclusive evidence to say that the drug can cause defects in the baby, but because I already have children born with neurooogical disorders, plus my advanced maternal age (I'm 39) I just don't wanna take any risks.
    I understand your concern, but antidepressants and pregnancy is an issue where there is no clear cut 'right' answer as maternal anxiety/stress can also have both immediate and long term effects on the baby. I urge you discuss this thoroughly with your GP and obstetrician asap and follow their recommendations.

I was forgetting to take it regularly and averaged one tablet about every 2-3 days most of the time anyway. I was taking 30mg.
    Please stop missing doses as this increases the risk of antidepressants failing to work.

But I feel like these past few days I'm struggling soooo badly. I'm sure my hormones might be playing a part, but I feel sad all the time, my obsessive checking of my body is back (health anxiety) and just generally being afraid and distracted all the time.
    Fluoxetine has a very long half-life, about 6 days for the drug itself and up to 16 days for its active metabolite so it will be in your system for quite a while, up to 30 days for the primary med and up to 3 months for the metabolite. This slow elimination usually minimises withdrawal effects, however, everyone reacts differently so withdrawal may be having a significant impact. Hormones are almost certainly also affecting how you feel as probably are the anxiety and stress of the unplanned pregnancy. An anxious mind can be very adept at creating our worst nightmares if given the opportunity. Please tell both your GP and obstetrician how you're feeling so this can be factored into their calculations on the best way forward.

I really don't want to be medicated during pregnancy. But I don't know how I'm gonna cope
    Unfortunately, as per above you will have some of the med in your system for much of the first trimester. Given this there may be no point in quitting, but that's a decision for your doctors.

Thank you so much for the advice. So if I were to go back on medication, what is the safest way to do this after a 2 week break? Do I go back on my normal dose or start small again? In fact, would a smaller dose maybe be the best compromise?

Quote Originally Posted by Limeslime View Post
    So if I were to go back on medication, what is the safest way to do this after a 2 week break? Do I go back on my normal dose or start small again? In fact, would a smaller dose maybe be the best compromise?
    If you've been taking 30mg only every second or third day then you've effectively been on a lower dose anyway. Somewhere between 10-15mg. So it might be wise to only take 10mg for a few days and then try upping it to 20mg. The important thing is to take it every day.

Thread Information