Thread: Could this dizziness be just anxiety?

Could this dizziness be just anxiety?

For the past 3 months i've experienced an off balanced/walking on a boat/falling feeling type of dizziness. I don't feel lightheaded, it's more like a body and unsteady type of dizziness. It's like i have no balance. However, I've never fallen.

I'm so confused about what this is. It feels pretty intense at times, like i'm falling backward. I notice it most when sitting straight up, standing or walking slowly. The weird thing is when i do brisk walking outside, the feeling is gone. Also when i lay down i feel fine. I thought it might be an inner ear problem, but how does it make sense that the feeling goes away when i do brisk walking or running?

It's a very odd feeling, feeling like you're going to fall but never actually falling. I did tell my doctor but he wasn't concerned. Could it just be stress and anxiety?

Re: Could this dizziness be just anxiety?

Also just to add - i do feel slight pressure in my right ear. My doctor checked my ears a while ago and said they looked normal. I don't know how i can figure out if this off balance dizziness is from anxiety or an ear problem. It feels so physical that i can't understand how it's just anxiety, but on the other hands i notice it can go away if i'm really distracted, and also when brisk walking or lying down, which makes me think the problem might be mental...

I just replied to someone else talking about some balance problems. I'm going through this same thing right now. I found this article helpful https://vestibular.org/blog/somatic-awareness/

Hi Panda..
    Definitely could be stress and anxiety, I suffer with this a lot and for a long time now, it’s not the lightheaded feeling, it almost feels like you’ve had a drink when you haven’t or the inside of you head isn’t balanced, it also affects my eyes and sometimes if you turn you feel like you’ve left your eyes behind, it’s very hard to describe the feeling. Like you I’m ok when I lie down...there is a condition called PPPD, I looked it up on You Tube and there is excises you can do to help, anxiety can trigger it too xx

Hi Panda, did your dizziness improve at all? I have the exact same symptoms you describe. I ‘ve had anxiety for many years, so I’m trying to figure out if the dizziness is related. Thanks, Jan (UK)

Thread Information