Thread: Scared I will choke(difficulty swallowing)

Scared I will choke(difficulty swallowing)

Hi I was after some help, I haven't been on here for a while, but I'm struggling at the minute and really need some advice please, when I was a child I choked on a hard sweet, I really panicked at the time and over the years at times its really flared up, the past probably 8, 9 months I have noticed that I have started to panic again and on occasion I have felt like I have struggled to swallow for a second when eating, like I really have to forced myself to swallow and I can't but obviously do after a few seconds, this recently has really intensified and I feel that I'm now dreading every meal and feel very panicked and scared that I will choked, I'm convinced I have cancer or some things else serious, I do take lansoprazole for heartburn been on them a long time, I am getting where I dreading meals and eating, seems worse on a evening meal when it's a bigger meal, I am going to go to drs which I'm am dreading, but any help would be so grateful, thanks toria.xx

Re: Scared I will choke(difficulty swallowing)

How are you doing now? I had the exact same experience as you which has lead to the same issue as you. Currently on lansoprazole but still find difficulty swallowing. Hardly eating either

Hi its so awful I seem to go through phases I'm ok for a week or so then when I think oh I'm ok it's back and it's like the natural swallowing process is not there and I have to force it then I panic that it will get stuck, even though it doesn't, and eating with others at the minute is stressful I seem to panic more, I did mention this to my drs but they didn't say much but I'm scared and thinking I need to go back but I am frightening, how are you doing xx

It could be globus - a very common anxiety symptom which I get.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi thanks for reply, I do hope that's what it is I'm getting scared again about food so it's a struggle to eat without the worry again, Does the globus come and go with you x

Sometimes I have it for months on end and sometimes it comes and goes - it depends how bad my anxiety is

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thread Information