Thread: Paranoid due to thyroid nodule, weight loss and night sweats...

Paranoid due to thyroid nodule, weight loss and night sweats...

hi, I hope this is in the right place. I've had night sweats for quite some time, which wax and wane in severity a lot of the time. The last week or so I've had complete DRENCHING night sweats, which had me super concerned as I used to only have those like once or twice a week. I had tests in the past but most of the time things came back normal and no further action was taken. Since the night sweats weren't always fully troubling me, I would end up leaving it since I had other issues to take care of.

I had a possible viral cold or flu in the last week following dental work, which started with a sore throat and then led to me streaming, sneezing and occasionally coughing. That's calmed down now, but I went to the doctor finally today to ask about the night sweats since it was getting annoying, and upon examination he noted I had a lump or something in my thyroid region. (like a nodule? idk). He decided because I've been having the night sweats and also have lost 2kg in the last 2 months, that he would order an ultrasound to get this checked as well as send me to get blood tests for thyroid, full blood count, kidneys, liver etc. also for HIV testing and stuff (though i had that one done in december and it was negative). He said he wanted just to rule anything bad out completely and I guess they also have to do so since without ruling stuff out they can't refer for other things.

But now in my head I'm thinking it must be something sinister since the weight loss + the night sweats + the lump. The thing with the weight loss is I guess 2kg in a couple of months is.. a lot? At the same time I'm also realizing that I had dental work and I wasn't eating as much as I usually do over the past week as well as having softer foods so my diet was limited. But I wonder if this could cause a weight loss. I can't think of logical reasons for the night sweats and how much they've gotten severe. The only thing is, my apartment right now is not ventilated well due to a broken system, and the humidity has been up and down a lot inside, (and with the humidity so high outside...) so I guess they can't help. Plus I was sleeping on the sofa for a period of time due to my boyfriend snoring lol, which isn't a breathable place to sleep I guess.

Has anyone had this thyroid lump/swelling and it not have been anything sinister? What about night sweats?

I hope others might be able to calm my mind a little while I wait for the ultrasound, it's so hard to think of anything else atm!!

2. Re: Paranoid due to thyroid nodule, weight loss and night sweats...

There are various reasons for thyroid nodules, and not all are sinister. Many thyroid nodules are benign, and weight loss can have various causes, including changes in diet. Night sweats can be linked to infections or other factors. It's crucial to wait for the results of your tests and consult with your healthcare provider for a proper diagnosis.

Re: Paranoid due to thyroid nodule, weight loss and night sweats...

yeah I know it could be any number of reasons. I figure the weight loss could be a coincidence. The night sweats worry me quite a bit as I've had them of a varying severity for years... sometimes full on drenching and sometimes just dampness. It has seemed to have improved in the past in some environments to be less severe though. I'll obviously follow up for all the tests and I guess nobody can really answer for me but I just feel quite alone with these concerns right now :(

I was referred for an ultrasound on my neck as the doctor thought it looked ‘bulky’ and also had full bloods done. At the first ultrasound I was told that I had a nodule on my thyroid that was suspicious and I’d need a biopsy but when I went back I saw the leading consultant who checked it and said it was fine. My bloods were all okay too.

I didn’t have the night sweats at the time but I’ve had them more recently as I’ve been feeling quite anxious. Have you had your blood test done yet?

Quote Originally Posted by melie1818 View Post
    I was referred for an ultrasound on my neck as the doctor thought it looked ‘bulky’ and also had full bloods done. At the first ultrasound I was told that I had a nodule on my thyroid that was suspicious and I’d need a biopsy but when I went back I saw the leading consultant who checked it and said it was fine. My bloods were all okay too.

I didn’t have the night sweats at the time but I’ve had them more recently as I’ve been feeling quite anxious. Have you had your blood test done yet?

Sorry I just saw this reply (for some reason my notifications weren't showing up!). My bloods were fine in the end. The scan I had came back with thyroid cysts and an enlarged non-reactive lymph node, but apparently they're benign. However they didn't seem to suggest needing to biopsy or follow up, so no idea.

I'm still having bad night sweats a few times a week, so now the GP is sending me for a rapid diagnosis referral, which you can imagine makes me feel even more paranoid lol. All the tests done came back fine so far though so hopefully they don't think it's anything bad and it's just a way of excluding anything else that can't be diagnosed/tested by the GP.

My mate had similar issues, apart from the lump would get HUGE, golf ball size. She had an underactive thyroid she now takes meds for as she had it whipped out. I also know another person who had similar issues and had a scan and all was fine, it was actually partly due to the menopause.

Thread Information