Thread: Stomach pains & mental health

Stomach pains & mental health

Hello

I've been doing really well with my health anxiety recently but it's reared it's ugly head again recently and I'm looking for a bit of reassurance I think!

I do suffer from IBS and anxiety (which doesn't help the HA!)
    I've also had a LOT of stress recently (an ADHD, autism and OCD diagnosis, plus some work stress and burnout / breakdown)

Early last week I woke up in the night with upper stomach cramps, no other symptoms (usually this would mean I was going to get the runs) but nope, just on and off pains in my stomach (kinda felt like gas) this seemed to move down to my belly button area where ive been getting sharp stabbing pains on and off ever since. It now seems to mostly happen when I eat. My appetite hasn't been affected. My stomach feels a bit sore to touch. The pains are quite bad but not constant.

Im trying really hard not to spiral but my brain loves going to the *awful* places like cancer, ulcers etc..

Could this be related to IBS / stress even though I've never had it happen before?

Re: Stomach pains & mental health

I very much think it sounds like stress and hyper awareness. I keep a diary of all my abdominal sensations and it helps put them in perspective- and (usually) helps me to see how they are related to anxiety

Re: Stomach pains & mental health

Quote Originally Posted by jojo2316 View Post
    I very much think it sounds like stress and hyper awareness. I keep a diary of all my abdominal sensations and it helps put them in perspective- and (usually) helps me to see how they are related to anxiety
    Thank you for your reply! I've never thought of doing that but I'm going to give it a go!

Thread Information