Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concerns about security now being more lax at day centre

Re: Concerns about security now being more lax at day centre

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLionMan View Post
    I think your bar for bad behaviour is particularly low, and I don’t know how old you are, but describing the youth as ‘feral youngsters’ has been happening for generations… as people grow up they always think ‘the youth of today’ are worse than their generation was, when it’s all pretty much the same mixed bag as ever. I think most of us would accept we weren’t angels as kids, and the youngsters should be allowed to experience life and express themselves, it’s just knowing where that line is.

I actually agree that I’m massively surprised there hasn’t been major uproar over recent events, but different to you, I actually wouldn’t mind seeing it, to see people care. The one thing stopping it, I think, is that people have voted for most of the sh*t that’s going on, and can’t face being angry at their own decision… Brexit Means Brexit, remember.
    I am almost 47 years old (in July this year).

As for a lot of the crap that goes on of late vs a lot of the crap that went on in the 2000s and early 2010s, it does seem that over the past decade or so many people have simply become more blasé about a lot of things that many previously expressed greater indignation against.

I can't really decide as to whether it's a good thing or a bad thing, but it does seem that the UK (at least) reached peak 'moral panic(s)' and the like in general during the 2005-11 period, as I pointed out upthread. And most of the teenagers I tend to notice these days whilst out and about generally seem to be a lot tamer and less boisterous compared to back then (and also back when I was a teenager myself), even though they will always still be the odd exceptions of course.

Yeah, so you’ll see what I mean.
    I’m 38, and my generation were far worse than what we see now, I think. Someone who know’s more please correct me if I’m wrong, but todays younger generation seem to have swapped the pub for the gym and live far more sensibly than my generation did, and at a guess, I think they probably feel downtrodden, and unheard. You think of the housing market, the Brexit the youngsters (correctly) didn’t want, the general feel of a government that just doesn’t speak for them (or for me), the way the country is generally on its knees, they probably feel a bit defeated and lost. I don’t think I could be as professionally successful in this current climate as I have been 20 years ahead, no chance. The doors aren’t open for a large percentage of youngsters. It has to be hard for them.

Just a thought: in the college I work at, yesterday I was verbally abused by a student and a couple of others came over a couple of times afterwards to make sure I was okay. The abusive student was in her 40s and the concerned ones were teenagers.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Just a thought: in the college I work at, yesterday I was verbally abused by a student and a couple of others came over a couple of times afterwards to make sure I was okay. The abusive student was in her 40s and the concerned ones were teenagers.
    Wow, it does seem that my generation and LLM's generation (roughly Gen X and Y) were/are among the biggest 'yobs' of all then, even though both myself and LLM aren't actually 'yobs' per se.

Also partly explains how the 90s and 2000s both seemed to be more violent and raucous decades (when myself and LLM respectively were teenagers) compared with those that followed; at least that's my own personal observation/perception and fully accept that I could be totally wrong.

And kudos to those teenage students for sticking up for you and indirectly giving that @rsehole of a student in her 40s what for!

Plus had I also been a student in the session at your college (at my actual age right now of nearly 47) I would have felt very tempted to give that b1tch of a student a load of verbal abuse myself in the corridor after the session had ended, and risk being sanctioned myself!
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 23-02-24 at 09:21.

Yeah, so you’ll see what I mean.
    I’m 38, and my generation were far worse than what we see now, I think. Someone who know’s more please correct me if I’m wrong, but todays younger generation seem to have swapped the pub for the gym and live far more sensibly than my generation did, and at a guess, I think they probably feel downtrodden, and unheard. You think of the housing market, the Brexit the youngsters (correctly) didn’t want, the general feel of a government that just doesn’t speak for them (or for me), the way the country is generally on its knees, they probably feel a bit defeated and lost. I don’t think I could be as professionally successful in this current climate as I have been 20 years ahead, no chance. The doors aren’t open for a large percentage of youngsters. It has to be hard for them.
    Yes, it's pretty damn astounding how a lot of the current younger generation just seem to take a lot of the current crap on the chin and are also seemingly less bothered about voting in elections than previous generations seemed to be.

Back when I was their age there would have no doubt been mass anarchy on the streets of Britain, especially in response to a lot of what seems to have been crisis after crisis after crisis since about 2005 in particular.

And yes I know we did have the riots in August 2011 but they seemed to be the last real bastion of major public rebellion in this country and (for better or worse) we haven't seen anything on that scale ever since, unlike in say, France, youngsters seem to riot and rebel en masse almost every year, and have seemingly done so also since around 2005 in particular.

While I don't normally agree with such debauchery, I can't help feeling that British society in general has become a bit too soft and apathetic over the past 15 years or so, and just seems to have developed a rather apathetic 'walk on by' kind of attitude.

Back to the original thread topic.

A bit of a cliche I know, but I guess I'm probably far more likely to get run over by a bus than get shot or stabbed to death by some raving psychopath randomly sidling into my day centre through the open/unlocked front door.

Though not a security-related issue per se, I've noticed this week my day centre has now also ditched its hand sanitiser dispensers that were previously scattered around the building, with the manager saying 'they're no longer worth it'.

Yes, Covid may now no longer be the big threat it once was, but I'm sure those hand sanitiser dispenser things were already present when I first started attending there in 2017, ages before Covid first came along, and their presence might possibly have been a hangover from the Swine Flu and Ebola days?

Do you work in this day center Lenco?
    If not, what do you do for work?

Do you work in this day center Lenco?
    If not, what do you do for work?
    No, I am a client there and currently attend once per week (usually Wednesdays).

I don't actually work as I have ASD.

TBH, I don't think I could cope with having a proper job.

I'm just still rather miffed as they suddenly seem to have gone from being more fastidious about infection control in the not-too-distant past (even before Covid to a certain extent) to being relatively lax now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I'm just still rather miffed as they suddenly seem to have gone from being more fastidious about infection control in the not-too-distant past (even before Covid to a certain extent) to being relatively lax now.
    I also recall the staff at my previous day centre no longer bothering to refill the hand gel dispensers since the media and the authorities basically stopped caring about Swine Flu during the very early months of 2010, by which time said virus already seemed to be pretty much 'water under the bridge' as far as most people were concerned.

But at least Swine Flu luckily didn't end up warranting full-blown Covid pandemic-like restrictions during that particular 'pandemic' (e.g, national lockdowns, social distancing, indoor face mask-wearing, etc).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information