Thread: High blood pressure reading

High blood pressure reading

Hi all,

I bought a BP monitor yesterday and today decided to take my blood pressure. I was quite anxious taking it and the first reading really shocked me... 180/95... i then did another one which was 172/95.
    Now an hour later i have calmed down a bit and it's 150/93. Which still sounds really high to me. I don't understand why it's so high, i'm 34 and not overweight.
    I called my GP to schedule an appointment and they booked me for money. Hopefully i will survive until then...

It might be to do with anxiety but these BP readings really scare me... what can i do??

Re: High blood pressure reading

They really aren't that bad to be honest but see your GP and they may want to do a 24 hour monitor.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks, it sounds really high to me because i thought it was supossed to be 120/80. I just did another one and it's 155/99 now. I don't know if i'm still stressed but i was trying to relax as much as possible when taking it.

They will be high now as you are conscious of it so it will naturally go higher.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thank you Nicola! Little update i just took my BP once more and it's still quite high: 162/96. I did deep breathing and calming down before taking it. I'm just trying not to obsess about it or freak out, and leave the BP monitor alone for a bit... maybe i should've never bought one

My readings are always high when I see doctor or go to hospital.

Try not to worry as I suspect when you see doctor it will be high as well which is why they may recommend a 24 hour monitor.

It is nothing too serious as yet but you are doing the right thing in getting it checked out.

Hi, it's the next day and i did one more BP check: 170/90, pulse 72. I relaxed 10 minutes before taking. Why is the above number so high???
    Also, should i call GP or wait till monday for my GP appointment?

Edit: it's 145/90 now at 3PM, so a bit better.. going to try and not check it anymore.
    Last edited by Panda22; 23-02-24 at 14:26.

My blood pressure has been a bit better yesterday and today, about 142/94. I have no idea why it was so high that one day. But i wish i had never bought a BP monitor, gave me so much stress.. Thanks for your reassurance Nicola

No worries panda

All good now?

Thread Information