Thread: Spitting up blood - throat cancer fear

Spitting up blood - throat cancer fear

Hi Everyone,
    I hope you're well. This is my first time posting. I've suffered health anxiety off and on for the past 6 years.

Since early this month (5th Feb), I've been spitting up blood randomly. I suddenly get the taste of blood in my mouth and when I spit out there is bright red blood in my saliva. Naturally I panicked and have got a referral from my GP to see an ENT, which I am waiting to do. They referred me on the suspected head and neck cancer 2 week wait. In the meantime I've had a clear chest Xray and blood tests, so I guess it must be my throat. (I went to the dentist last month and no problems reported so don't think it's dental.)

I don't really have any other symptoms except now my throat feels dry and scratchy (but it didn't to start with) and my voice is hoarser now. I'm not coughing, no sore throat.

I am trying to be positive, but I'm really scared. I have a 7 month baby at home so really panicking.

The point of this post is to ask if anyone has had similar symptoms that turned out not to be anything scarily serious? Or if you did have such symptoms what did it end up being caused by in the end?

Please help! I'm just looking for some hope while I wait to see the ENT.

Welcome to No More Panic!

Hiya Malibu and welcome to NMP

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and
    are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and
    support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Re: Spitting up blood - throat cancer fear

When you get a sudden taste of blood in the mouth, it's normally the gums. I had this even though the dentist couldn't see anything. It could also be coming from your nose, but it's difficult to say.

Re: Spitting up blood - throat cancer fear

Thank you both for your replies, I appreciate you taking the time. It's happened twice today already this morning, it's very alarming! Well I'll just have to be patient and wait to see the ENT...

Thread Information